Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rabbit8_gw

columns

rabbit8
12 years ago

I have an old house. The 4 columns had to be replaced. I noticed the column on the far left is leaning inward about one half of an inch. Is it worth having it redone or should I just live with it the way it is? Please give me some advice. Thanks in advance for your help.

Comments (11)

• ks_toolgirl
    12 years ago

Hi, I expect that you'll have to be more specific before anyone can offer advice... Also, if at all possible, pictures will really help!

Are you talking about porch columns, or something else?
    When they were replaced, were you told why they failed?
    If so, was the issue addressed - & how?

The more information you provide, the more helpful this forum will be. :-)

• rabbit8
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yes, I am talking about porch columns. The guy who put them up came by yesterday and measured the one that is leaning a little and he said it's 1/2 inch off and that is why it is leaning inward a little. I had 4 columns replaced. It's the one at the far end that is a little off. The guy said he could move the top of the column over a little. I hope this helps.

• antiquesilver
    12 years ago

Did he forget to check if it was plumb when he originally installed it or has something caused it to lean since (like the porch floor or pier shifting or something happening with the porch roof to cause the weight to be redistributed)? Finding out the reason is far more important than a quick fix that may not actually fix anything.

• rabbit8
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for your comments. This is what happened. They put the last columns up without measuring it. I had the guys to come over and one of them measured the column (one that is leaning) and he told me it was 1/2 inch from being straight and that they could move the top part over a half of an inch. I will try to post a picture if I can find the directions on how to do it.

• renovator8
    12 years ago

The perimeter columns of the Parthenon are of a larger diameter at the corners and the axes of the columns are inclined inward nearly three inches.

Of course, your columns might be smaller but we don't know enough about them to offer advice except to say that if they look bad to you, they should be corrected.

• rabbit8
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The guy who put them up came by and measured them and admitted that one of the columns is off 1/2 of an inch. I am afraid to allow him to fix it because I don't think he knew what he was doing in the first place. He showed me a piece of paper he cut out of the newspapers that stated he had license to paint. I am so displeased with the outcome. I have had him back at my house 2 times. I discovered he spilled green paint on my new gutters (white gutters). I do thank you for all your help. I can't thank you enough. I'm getting another guy to come and fix what he messed up.

• worthy
    12 years ago

Of course, your columns might be smaller

Think?

• rabbit8
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I don't know who I can get to fix this problem? I'm a female and just don't know. I get upset when I think about it. I think I will look in the ad section of the newspaper today. Thanks for the suggestion about one of the columns might be a bit smaller. I never thought about that.

• rabbit8
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Good news! I got my columns fixed. They look really nice. Thanks for all your comments.

• renovator8
    12 years ago

No reason to get upset; be happy they aren't stone.

I want to hear more about Worthy's "missing years" on Long Island.

• rabbit8
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks to all of you for your comments.