Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oldfixer

Bathtub Project

oldfixer
10 years ago

Enjoy another adventure on the project list from "This Old Castle". This time we venture into the bathroom to find the old cast iron tub. How they ever got these heavy things into the allocated space is beyond me. While they never wear out, it's the surface finish that may eventually need attention. Chips, cracks, simply worn off, or even the wrong color may spark ambition to improve the looks of your tub.

Of several options available, I selected the do-it-yourself method to refinish the tub using an Epoxy paint system. This stuff is good, and dries as hard as ceramic tile. A word of caution if you don't like smells ....... this is an epoxy paint and gives off some very strong vapor aromas. Much worse than even oil based paint, and, a lingering aroma as it cures. The epoxy is available as a brush-on, or spray. I would not want an expoxy overspray problem to try and clean up. It's a job that is done right there in the bathroom.

Preparation is a key element. Tub surfaces are shiny and hard, and have to be scuffed down well to ensure the new paint will properly adhere. Don't be in a hurry, and do it several times to be sure you haven't missed a spot. EVERY spec of the surface should have a dull, sanded look. If you have to use the tub during preparation, this is fine, just remember each time deposits more soap residue that must be removed. I removed the caulk along the tub/wall, and then taped over this so water didn't get under the gaps. Take the tape off when painting.

When you think you're ready, DON'T use the tub! Give it the final scrubbing, and a good rinsing. Let it dry good for 24 hours, don't let moisture or a water drop ruin your efforts now. Tape off the drain, handles, etc, plus the wall and floor so you don't splash/drip.

Plan ahead to get the job done right, as 2 coats are recommended, the 2nd coat being applied 24 hours after the first coat. Only mix what you will need for each coat. Unused material must be discarded. Mix equal parts of the 2 part epoxy paint, and let it sit 90 minutes to activate itself. I used a Cool Whip bowl. Application was done using a disposable foam brush. VENTILATE! Remember I said the fumes are quite strong, and will permeate your whole house.

After the final 2nd application, the epoxy needs a full 5 days to cure. Don't plan on using your tub til then. I was taking sponge baths in the basement sink. Recaulk the tub/wall with a suitable product and you're ready to go. If you have exerted the effort of proper preparation and good application, the new epoxy tub (or sink) should last for many, many, many years to come.
You can see the resulting finish on the cast iron tub.

Comments (8)

• ingeorgia
    10 years ago

or you can contact someone to do this for you ... here is an interesting link if you want to read up ... while I do like to do as much as I can myself I think this is one thing I'd hire out. I give you a lot of credit for tackling that job !

Here is a link that might be useful: tub refinishing

• mxyplx
    10 years ago

For epoxy in a closed area like that you should use a toxic paint mask even with brush/roll on application. In the garage, for example, just a fan blowing over the job will do but not in the bathroom. Wear gloves too if you can. If not have a big tub of warm soapy water to wash your hands frequently if any epoxy gets on them.

If you choose to use a 2-part polyurethane you'll need a special mask with it's own independant air supply. And gloves and, if you spray, a complete protective suit. Because they contain isocyanates that will absorb instantly thru your skin. And they can/may kill you. Unlike epoxy they don't wash off with soapy water. Got some on the back on one hand and had a trigger finger for 7-8 months.

So make sure which type you have.

Blowing those fumes out the window may be (probly is) illegal where you live so be carefull who knows what you are doing.

• dilettante_gw
    10 years ago

Thanks, OldFixer, for the detailed instructions. Your tub turned out great! I've been trying to work up the courage to re-coat my ancient clawfoot when the warm weather returns. Definitely not a winter project in New England.

I'm curious - what product did you use?

• oldfixer
    Original Author
    10 years ago

dilettante: you'll need that courage, but go for it. With more ambition, and effort, you have the option to move the project outdoors. Plus, you have more exterior surface to coat to do it right. (bottom & feet too) My built in only has one front surface. Start the gruelling prep process now, to dull the surfaces you can reach. If being used, soap residue can be removed in a final cleaning. Sorry, product name eludes me. Search "epoxy tub paint" to find several brands at normal stores, and some reviews. Avg. $30. Seems to be a good DIY project, despite the STINK!!! Good luck to you.

• Debbie Downer
    10 years ago

I may try this on a bathroom sink - what would you use to repair rusted out spots around the overflow drain hole? I wouldn't want it stark white though - more of an antique white to match the tub would be good - is there such a thing?

My claw tub gets frequent use, so I didn't want to refinish and deal with the inevitable peeling. Itwas very worn on the bottom but the rim was still shiny (just some scratches but oh well). My approach was to get hot AND cold soft water run into the bathroom which elimates lime deposits (which are hard to remove from worn porcelain) Its very easy to clean now, and there is a clear porcelain polish that you can put on for a shine and extra protection if you want (sorta like car wax). That's an alternative approach for tubs that aren't as far gone as some.

• oldfixer
    Original Author
    10 years ago

k-k: you'd have to do the search to find manufacturers, then look for color options, if any. Some discussions were how to repair rusty spots. "inevitable peeling"?? Then you haven't prepped right. It should 'wear' same as the normal surface. Did my basement laundy tubs 20+ years ago, and no peeling yet.

• emmarene9
    10 years ago

Thank you for your example OldFixer. I think I will try just as soon as warm weather returns. One thing I would like to know is if anyone has experience using Bondo to fill in where some of the porcelain is gone.Are there other products that will do the same?

• oldfixer
    Original Author
    10 years ago

emma: try that searching for more answers. If the finish is only "gone", the area may be feather-sanded to help blend in. If the metal is showing, some offer a primer. Some say use fiberglass resin to repair big cracks, chips and rust spots. Bondo is not a waterproof fix. None of the above will add more than a few $$$ to the project if needed. Do some simple homework now. I started with some tough grit sandpaper on an electric palm sander. Then finished prep by hand with 100 grit wet-dry sandpaper. Good luck. Prepare for the stink!!