Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gutters for a metal roof

Posted by rexg (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 30, 08 at 17:18

I have a home with a metal roof that overhangs by about 3 inches. It has a 5/12 slope and I want to install a gutter that will handle the rainwater shed off it. I also need to install some type of gutter with a screen to handle a lot of leaves in the fall. Does anyone have any suggestions? I have contacted a couple of local gutter companies but they said their gutters would not work well with a metal roof with a 3 inch overhang, they said the rain would overshot the gutter. He said that metal roofs do not slow the rain down like a regular shingles and the 3 inch overhang was to much with a normal 5 inch gutter. He did suggest a commerical box style gutter at least 6-8 inches wide but I'm not sure that will look right. Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gutters for a metal roof

You could trim the the overhang shorter.

o

Use brackets to put the gutter in the right place. It's a good idea to separate the gutter from the roof edge anyway. It sounds like a half round would not have enough capacity so you might be stuck with a box gutter. The first step is to calculate the volume of water instead of guessing.

o

They make gutter hangers that attach to the surface of the roof. They are either screwed on with washer-head screws, or the nails are soldered-over (or capped by soldered-on strips of metal). These only work where there is wood sheathing under the metal, and from your question its not perfectly clear that this is so.
Casey

o

Hanging gutters are generally half-round and hold less water for a given width than box/K gutters. Check the volume needed first.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here