Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
painting over a stained wall?

Posted by abbey_cny (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 20, 10 at 17:05

I have a not too terribly old home (1950) that I love. What I don't love is the color in one of the rooms. While most of the walls are plaster, there is a wall in the living room that the fire place is on which is made up of stained wooden planks. The molding and the beams in this room are also stained the same color, sort of an unattractive orange-red. I would very much like to change this color, and figure painting is easier than trying to strip and stain everything a different color. This wood is slightly glossy. I am guessing I would need to sand it thoroughly first and then prime and paint? Has anyone painted something like this before? Any suggestions are welcome! Thanks.

Abbey

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: painting over a stained wall?

Taking gloss off the wood 1st - with some sanding fine grit will do - vacuum, wipe
Then a good stain killing primer -
then 2 coats of paint -

Do you plan on doing all the wood work?

Here is a link that might be useful: painting over stained wood

o

Sanding is a must. Not only would I vacuum it afterwards but use a tack cloth on it too. Tact cloths are made to get the tiny bits off the wall. You can find them at most places that sell paint and hardware.

Prime with a primer of good quality and if you know what color you are going to paint the wall afterwards ask that the primer be tinted that color. It makes painting it much easier if you have lots of grooves or pitting to cover up.

Make sure the nap of the roller is the correct one for the surfaces you are painting it makes a huge difference in the final outcome.

o

If you don't like the wood wall, you could also drywall right over it. Probably faster than all the wood prep.

o

If you don't like the wood wall, you could also drywall right over it.

If you do that, perhaps 30-40 years from now, someone else will discover that hidden wall and cheer as he or she rips the drywall off!

o

thanks for all of the advice, and lol at Davidr. I had thought of drywall but never thought of the next set of owners cheering as they removed it. Next step is to investigate possible paint colors and decide how ready I am to tackle this job. Thanks again :)

Abbey

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here