Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gincyb

frozen condensation on storm windows

gincyb
18 years ago

We've just moved into a 'new' old house (1790) in VT. My SO is concerned about condensation freezing and building up ice on the inside of the storms (Do I have to mention that the regular windows leak severely?)

We plan to install some sort of new window protection next year, but he is concerned with possible damage this winter. Anyone have any experience with ice buildup on aluminum storm windows? These are probably 50 years old.

Thanks for any info,

Gincy

Comments (10)

• Window_Guy
    18 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

The only way to stop the ice is by stopping the leaking of warm air from inside. The 3M window plastic may help if it's not to bad. You can also try and some how install a weather stripping around your windows to stop air infiltration. It's hard to diagnose with out seeing. Just a couple quick ideas to start with.
    Good Luck!

• glassquilt
    18 years ago

The 3M plastic works well. I used the shrink wrap stuff. I put it up with the double sided tape and shrank it with the hair dryer. As long as it's not puntured I was fine. Besides as bad as it is, the house made it this long and will probably make it another winter.
    Look at the bright side - if the windows are frozen shut nobody can break in.

• Columbusguy
    18 years ago

My 1907 house has triple-track aluminum storms likely the same age as yours, and I've never had ice build-up here in Ohio...but I will tell you that they are next to worthless as storms! My front window is a large central one, with two narrower ones on either side--the big one has no storm as it is never opened, but the other ones do have them. I put plastic over the whole thing because the air infiltration is terrible--around the aluminum storms!
    The plastic film is very good, although the double-sided tape isn't so great--it can come loose no matter how clean your surfaces are--I supplement it with duct-tape.
    Keeping the plastic intact is vital, which is difficult this year because I have a nine-month old siamese kitten who just loves sitting in window sills, and will go through the plastic like butter if I don't watch her!
    I am currently planning on building my own wooden storms, so I will not have this problem next year.

• housekeeping
    18 years ago

The frozen condensation is pretty common, especially with leaky aluminum storms. But the problem is not just the storms, your primaries are also probably "leaking" warm, moist air into the space between the two windows.

The cure is better storm windows, better fitting storms and primaries which are well-tuned up all arouond.

This does NOT mean you have to replace your windows. You might want to consider better storms, however.

It's a project that can wait for spring. The only possible damage (other than the emotional toll of living with opaque windows) is that when it warms up the condensation can melt and drip down onto the window sill, which can harm the wood, particularly if it's a little thin in the paint department. You can try drying it up on warm days, but it will re-occur.

I live in northern NY along the VT line; you know you're truly in the depths of winter when *both* your storms and your primaries are frozen over.

It can be improved, with homeowner-level work in warm weather. It's too cold now!

Molly~

PS: One other thing, make sure your storms are properly closed, with the upper one on the outer track, lower one inside and correctly mated at the meeting rail.

• sharon_sd
    18 years ago

Old storm windows were made to leak. They had a little flap that could be raised to allow air in. The primary problem with storms getting frosted is not from them leaking, it is from leaks of warm moist inside air into the cavity between the two panes. as Window_Guy and subsequent posters have indicated, if you stop leaks from your inside windows, you won't have a problem with icing storm windows. If you don't stop those leaks, it doesn't how airtight the storm windows are, you will always have frost.

• wantoretire_did
    18 years ago

I've found that if I completely close off a window (close shutters or draw drapes) that there will be condensation in the morning. Therefore, I make sure to leave a little air movement going on. I don't know what the energy experts would say, but I don't see any other way. I have Andersen thermopane sash and casements.

Carol

• gincyb
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for all your help. I think we'll put in interior storms next year. Seems like the way to go. We had plastic put over the inside of a couple of windows where the storms were missing, and they don't produce any condensation at all.

Gincy

• shepard_jessie_gmail_com
    13 years ago

What role does a woodstove and the dry heat play on the similiar situations as noted above? I have lots of condensation and will attempt to tighten the air flow as I recently bought new replacement triple track storm windows which are not properly installed.
    I have one window with no condensation in the same room!
    Thanks

• bmj23_aol_com
    13 years ago

I have new construction with Anderson double-pane windows that are tight. Plus double-cell insulated shades. On the coldest mornings (less that +10) we were getting some condensation and even frost on the insides of the windows, between the inside window surface and the shade. I think that is because the shades are so effective.

Anyway, we added triple glazing this summer, in the form of tight-fit Humphrey storm windows. Now as the winter proceeds, I'm discovering that the condensation (quite a bit) is occuring on the inside surface of the storm window.

My interpretation of all this is that without more air leakage, this tight system will cause condensation on one surface or the other, that the only prevention would be to allow more leakage to ventilate it.