Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
1834 windows 6 pane-12 pane

Posted by natandcat (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 27, 11 at 15:47

Remodeling, and just want to know if these windows are worth anything. Any info would be appreciated

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 1834 windows 6 pane-12 pane

Whether they are worth anything in the monetary sense depends entirely on their condition, what a buyer would be willing to pay, etc. Their real worth lies in their historical significance and the considerable role they play in the overall architectural integrity of the building they are in.

IMHO, the fad for removing beautiful old windows, tossing them in the landfill and replacing them with short lived "energy efficient" replacement windows is an ongoing tragedy and a huge consumer fraud.

Unless they are hopelessly damaged, old windows are superior to any you could buy today and are well worth repairing. Read the fine print in today's replacement window advertising and see if you think any are likely to be around as long as ones made in 1834. Old windows fixed, weather stripped, supplemented with high quality exterior and perhaps interior storm windows, will be just as "energy efficient" as the over-hyped stuff you can buy with their phony claims and short life spans.

o

I see them advertised some on craigslist. Not worth big money, usually around 10 or 20 a window for crafters to buy and use on projects. I have one myself that I painted a design on and it hangs in my house.
Cher

o

These windows, if original, were probably fabricated on site and cannot be easily removed and reinstalled elsewhere. Often all that can be saved are the sash. I would say the only thing that would be valuable is the glass if it is original.

o

Ditto everything mainegrower said. Please please please don't rip out your windows.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here