Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dwpc_gw

How do I repair lifted plaster skim coat?

dwpc
11 years ago

For some unknown reason, our 1972 house has some rooms with 1/4" hardboard (e.g. common brown Masonite) interior walls covered with a plaster skim coat. The 1/8" or so skim coat was a quality job and nicely textured, so we don't want to rip the hardboard down and sheetrock it. However, since the hardboard and plaster expand differently, there are several narrow (3/4") areas along the hardboard butts where the skim coat has cracked at the seam and lifted from the backing just enough to be noticeable. If pressed back down, they virtually vanish. But how can I do it permanently?

Can anyone recommend a quick-acting non-water-based glue I could inject via syringe under the lifted skim coat that would secure the plaster to the hardboard? The problems are 1) a water-based glue may soften the skim coat and defeat the idea, and 2)there's no effective way to keep pressure on the affected areas for a common glue to set.

This issue extends a few ft here and there over about 20 ft of seams total. I'd like to avoid a big spackling job by busting out the lifted stuff. It would also be difficult to match to the existing wall textures. And I also have a hunch that spackling these areas will just cause more lifting as the moisture in the compound will soften the adjacent skim coat.

Here is a link that might be useful: These are the glue syringes I'd use

Comments (4)