Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Darken Wood Floors Without Sanding?

Posted by hippychic77 (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 23, 10 at 14:19

We have an 1920s craftsman cottage with fir floors. At some point in the last 20 years someone sanded and refinished the floor a light golden color that was very popular in the 1980s or so. We are interested in darkening the color of our floors without sanding them again if possible.

I've read that tinting a clear urethane is a possibility, or using a gel stain. I'm wondering which is best? Does anyone have any experience, positive or negative, with either products? Any other suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Darken Wood Floors Without Sanding?

Ask the guys at Home Depot - they know their stuff and can explain it to you.

o

"Ask the guys at Home Depot - they know their stuff and can explain it to you."

Most barely know the products they are selling, and nothing about things not on their shelves.

Depending on what the existing finish is you may be able to screen it (very light sanding to roughen it slightly) and apply a compatible new finish over the existing finish.

o

I would think that a tinted polyurethane would scratch and wear off pretty quickly. I have heard of stripping the old finish before staining or re-finishing, but why not sand it so you have a more uniform surface to work with? You will get a better look if you do it the way the professionals do it. (Or, for that matter, hire a professional).

o

For a piece of lightly used furniture or vertical millwork, using a tinted topcoat or gelstain might be a possibility. (It will be more opaque and obscure the grain more than a traditional stain approach though.) Those types of areas don't get much wear/abuse. The problem with a tinted film forming finish is that it will wear off/scratch off and expose the lighter wood areas, and a floor is a heavy use area. If you want your floors a darker color, the traditional route of sanding the finish off completely and then restaining and recoating with a finish is the only way to go.

o

Tinted polyurethane can be used to darken the floor slightly. However, it will wear and where it wears the lighter color will reappear.

There may not be a good solution. Even if you remove the existing coatings, they have probably penetrated into the wood far enough to leave streaks and blotches if you try to re-stain to a darker color. In any event it is a job for a professional who can streak and color match with a brush if this proves necessary -- and it is probably going to be expensive. On the other hand if the stain does take well, the refinish should not be more than $2.00 s/f if you move the furniture.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here