Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Drywall on knee walls

Posted by bostonhome (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 17, 09 at 12:55

I am having drywall installed in the attic of my 1870 Victorian house. The attic is part of the mansard roof and will have two bedrooms. For the finished walls, the contractor recommend a more gradual transition between the top walls and knee walls below...a smooth slight curve. There would not be a sharp line at the top of the knee walls to show a sharp drop straight down. I always thought I wanted a distinct edge, but not sure which is correct.

Which finish would look better? Which is the right way?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Drywall on knee walls

I wish I had a mansard roofed house--but I only have a 1908 'four-square'--I hate that term! Anyway, my attic is finished in original lath and plaster, and it has curved joins at the top of the knee-walls, and also where the angled portion joins the flat ceiling. It looks very nice but does give problems in painting--I have painted from the baseboard to the very top all the same color, rather than deciding where to stop the wall color. :)
At a guess, and remembering episodes of TOH, I would say curved joins were the norm.

o

It depends on the skill of the installer. You might not have a choice.

o

Large radius (inner or outer) joints are very simple for a plasterer, not so easy for a drywall person.

The curves help disguise the boundaries between the various planes, especially if the paint color is the same on both planes.

I have always carried the knee wall color up to the ceiling curve, than changed color their.

If there are dormers or other square ceiling-wall joints, lining up the color change line with them seems to look best.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here