Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to get a decent insulation contractor?

Posted by richard904 (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 23, 09 at 12:36

We need to add some insulation into our home which includes a visible rim joist area, a ceiling area below the house entrance, and a knee wall space where insulation was never placed on a cathederal ceiling. These are not large jobs - rather obnoxious small jobs where we want to use foam, but it is way too much to be a DIY particularly with foam. The rub is how to get a good, "best practices," professional insulation contractor that will do smaller jobs? In Kansas I do not think there is any state wide certification; if there were, it would be a starting list. Kansas City Power & Light has a good web page listing energy auditors and contractors that (I think) they recommend, but I do not really know the criteria. The first two I called never responded I think due to the size of the job. What would you do? Actually cost is not a big issue.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to get a decent insulation contractor?

I had my attic and exterior walls insulated with cellulose, but I think the research approach I used might work for you.

First, try to find out what type of insulation is correct for your project, then try to find out who makes the best version of that insulation. Next, call the insulation manufacturer to see if they can suggest an installer.

I started at www.cellulose.org, went to www.nationalfiber.com, and was referred to http://www.aainsulationinc.com/. It was so easy I was suspicious of my good fortune. The house was warmer and quieter before the job was even half done.

o
RE: How to get a decent insulation contractor?

We use Angie's List. Unrelated: It's not only helpful for finding contractors, but I've also used it to try and get somewhat of an idea of what something might cost when I haven't the slightest idea. A lot of the reviews include the cost of the job and reading the description or comments can give a bit of an idea of what was done. Not at all accurate, but when you don't know if a job costs $500 or $5,000 it can be a starting point.

For our insulation we cross referenced Angie's List with the list we were given by our energy auditor.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here