Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
advice about 'black mortar' for 1920s house

Posted by kren_pa (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 17, 07 at 12:34

hello
i am wondering if anyone can advise me on the ingredients of "black mortar". the mason that will repoint our house has asked us to get the bags of mortar. he said, oh that's black mortar..i asked if he meant the color and he said well yes, it mixes up black but it's just called black mortar and it comes in 80 pound bags. called the concrete place in town and they had never heard of this. another person that looked at the house used the same term, "black mortar" and distinguished it from portland cement. anyone have any idea what this is? or who might carry it? thanks in advance.. kren

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: advice about 'black mortar' for 1920s house

A Google search came up with the following:

If you are mixing a coloured mortar, add the cement dye to the dry aggregates and mix in thoroughly before folding in the gauging water. Alternatively, ready-mixed coloured mortars are available at most builders' merchants. We find that a black mortar, either made with a cement dye, or bought as a pre-pack, works well with natural stone and the riven types of patio flags, making the paving stand out, rather than the mortar. If using cement dye to make a black mortar, try to use a silver or very light coloured sands, as they require less dye to achieve a good black shade, than do the red sands.

o

google for 'historic black mortar'. A number of hits come up. I'd also check the National Trust for HIstoric Preservation website - they have a wide variety papers on restoration subjects.

o

Yup except try to use a 1-1-6 lime based historical mortar and dye it with black mortar colour, make sure your guy does a sample area for you, giving it a couple of days to dry out to its final colour and show his quality of workmanship. I usually do a wet test area first to match the colour which simply involves wetting down some of the original work and then match the colour of the new mortar which is also wet when first mixed up.
Cheers.

o

You have to go to someone that carries brick, a concrete place will not be carrying mortar if all they do is concrete.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here