Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
In need of some exterior advice for a 60's rancher

Posted by michele121 (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 19, 13 at 12:34

Would love some advice on how to beautify this rancher. Considering a shingled extierior but unsure what to do about the two bay /bow windows and if they should be removed to be more square looking. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: In need of some exterior advice for a 60's rancher

Do the windows work from the inside? Are they useful?

Split level, right?

Can you post a couple more pictures of it from various angles?

It could use better landscaping, but tarting up the house itself will make it look like a mutt instead of what it is - a nice 1960s ranch house. Shingles would look strange.

o

Cool house. I would like to see more pictures.

I don't know when the house was built, but the bay windows could be add-ons from the 1950s-60s when adding them was popular. They seem to allow more light to come into the house.

I don't know that a flat front would be more attractive. I would move cautiously with changes if I were you.

o

Look at this before and after on a ranch:

http://www.houzz.com/discussions/201466/-Prairie-Modern--Ranch-House-Remodel#1851831

And notice how little it took to go from blah not-quite Prairie to a total WOW of a house. That's mostly paint and one small change to the front entry wall.

o

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0614293210436.html

check this one out. scroll at least 2/3 to 3/4 down to see the exterior.

o

Thanks for all the messages....I will take more pictures and add them so you can see the new landscaping. I actually love the bow windows from the interior but they look confusing from the street. It looks like split level but the windows are the basement windows. I still havent decided what to do with the exterior treatment but perhaps verticle siding would work better than the shingles:)

o

A few more photos of the rancher

o

Front of garage

o

It is a very attractive home, you only need some landscaping. I would not change the bay windows for appearance purposes. Questionable improvement for $$$.

o

I love it! If it were mine I might add a small tree that has pretty flowers or unusual foliage , straight out from the right pillar but not in perfect line with the evergreen. I think those windows look great! So different than most houses.

o

You have a wonderful unique home. I wouldn't change a thing, it has great character. Well, maybe change one thing, the shutters. They are really out of scale and think without them an even bolder look to your home.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here