Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does anyone have a sunporch?

Posted by lavender_lass (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 4, 10 at 12:27

I have been working on plans to remodel my small farmhouse. I've had to make a few changes, due to some concerns about chimney placement, etc. so I now have the dining room in front...with room for a small sunporch. This is something I've always wanted and I think the south corner of the house is the perfect place for it.

Anyway, it's not big (about 13' x 10') but I only need room for a big buffet, a couple of chairs, a table and maybe a small ottoman (in case I want to put my feet up and read a book).

My purpose for the room, is to have a place for a star jasmine (maybe a few herbs) and some other plants that won't do well with our cold winters, somewhere for the kitties to enjoy the sun...and a place for me to have tea with family and friends. If I need more space, we can move to the dining table, since it's just through the french doors.

I have a lot of teacups and saucers, teapots, and other tea "stuff" LOL that I want to display on the buffet and the shelves in the dining room (along with a few books). I've included a picture of my plan (which is very different from my old one) but I think it makes a better use of the space...and the views out the back.

If you have any ideas, comments, pictures or links, I'd love to see them. I'm looking for ideas/pictures to pick windows, flooring, finishes, etc. as well as style and anything tea realted! :)

Any ideas for the kitchen, little seating area by the fire, or any other spaces are welcome, too. I've included a photo of a kitchen that I like (but I'd prefer a white sink and antique brass faucet and hardware) and a picture of my french country theme.

Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does anyone have a sunporch?

I don't have a sunporch, but wish I did. Many homes in the neighborhood where I grew up had sunporches. These typically had large casement windows, square quarry tile floors with flush grout, and were usually reached by french doors off the living room. I love them especially in winter!

Your plan looks, to me, much better than your earlier plan, but probably quite a bit more expensive as well. That is a lovely, HUGE laundry room, and the kitchen looks like it has a great layout! This layout looks particularly well suited to a cold climate, with the airlock entrances front and back and the sunporch and fireplace at the north (I presume) side of the house.

o

We call this the sunroom, but older people in town who remember the house in its early days refer to it as the conservatory. As you can see, I am still refinishing the wood in this room.

It is accessed through the french doors in the dining room as seen here. The link below is a pic of the sunroom itself.
Photobucket

Here is a link that might be useful: sunroom

o

Josh- Thanks! Very nice of you to say so :)

It shouldn't be much more...believe it or not, there's only two feet more along the back and squaring in the corner, for the sunroom. It just seems to be a better use of space.

The airlocks are great for keeping out the cold...and for keeping the kitties in! Too many coyotes out here, for them to go outside, especially at night.

Joyce- Thank you for sharing the pictures...beautiful sunroom! Very pretty dining room, too. Are those french doors original to the house? They're very nice.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here