Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Using driftwood beams in my house

Posted by wianno (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 6, 10 at 11:38

My 100 year old house has some unique archticture features. It's Royal Berry Wills old summer house, and there is some history (and pictures) in one of his books. In it, the book claims that a large beam in the living room was found on the beach and used in the house construction.

He also used solid beams for stair treads, which I plan to reproduce on a new set of stairs I am adding in an addition. I was walking down the beach the other day and came across a very large 12"x12"x12' beam. I am wondering if there is a down side to grabbing the beam and re-using it for my stairs? It's not uncommon for such beams to wash ashore here in NE. I have seen beams up to 20' drift ashore! I guess my questions are will it smell like low tide once I start to dry it out, and if the salt has done anything nasty to it? I also wonder if it would need to be kiln dried and other prep I might have to do to use it. I most certainly would trim it down to the size I need, about 9"x8"x3'6".

Thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Using driftwood beams in my house

I'd be more worried about what might be living in it, than what the salt has done, plus if you don't know the age of the beam, I'd definitely want a pro to check it for inner rot, etc.

o

Any critters would smell as they died. That's one concern. As for inside, I would be cutting into pieces so would know right away what condition it was in. Apart fronm that, dry rot does not occurr in salt water, only fresh.

o

There's got to be a lumber salvage company in your area. I'd be looking for a phone number or address and ask them.
Pulling timbers out of water both fresh and salt has been going on for a long time. Loads shift, boats sink, timber sometimes gets lost.
There was a tv show about it not too long back on either Discovery Channel or the History Channel.
You're best bet is to talk to someone whose been in the business for awhile and get their take on what to do.

o

Fully submerged timers are often just fine after drying out.

There is a huge market for old growth wood that has sunk in rivers and can now be retrieved and milled.

o

If this is a piece of old timber, it will be better than anything (except salvage) you could buy today - tighter grain, older growth, etc. The one thing to look out for is embedded pieces of metal you can't see. These can ruin a saw blade, so using a carbide blade or checking with a nail finder/metal detector before cutting is the way to go.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here