Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Recycled rubber shingles for bungalow?

Posted by juno2008 (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 25, 11 at 11:12

This is my first post here, so excuse me if I do something not quite right. We're looking for a new roof for our 1906 bungalow, and I've been reading about recycled rubber shingles that look like cedar or slate. I was wondering if anyone has something like this and what you think of it. Does is look convincing or does it look really fake? How's the smell? How has it held up?

We're replacing asphalt shingles, and I'm not sure what was there originally. The original siding was redwood (still exists under the asbestos shingles, which we may rip off someday).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Recycled rubber shingles for bungalow?

I first saw these at least 10 years ago and was wondering too. If you Google around you will see that certain brands boast a long life. But all the details must be done right by qualified installers. See, for instance, this post from a large roofing company. (Scroll down.)

o
RE: Recycled rubber shingles for bungalow?

Hi. I can't give you any durability/longevity answers yet, but that is exactly what we're putting on our 1838 double brick cape next spring. We'll be putting Inspire (by Tapco) slate type on. I'd be a little concerned if you have to hire someone to apply them, unless they have prior experience. My DH is makes his living doing roofing so we'll be DIY. Our wholesaler was able to give us addresses of buildings with these and Ecostar (by Carlisle) which we looked at. IMO, the Inspire slates were much more realistic. Good luck.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here