Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Floor Refinishing Folk Victorian

Posted by carthamm (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 15, 13 at 10:58

I just purchased a c. 1899 Folk Victorian and need to refinish the wood floors. They are a very narrow board and light in color, perhaps not original but nevertheless old. What type of flooring and stain colors were traditional in this type of home? I don't know what color the finish should be.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Floor Refinishing Folk Victorian

What would happen if you just cleaned them thoroughly?

The usual color was "natural", and the usual flooring was "whatever the budget could handle". I've seen maple, oak, cypress, teak, walnut, pine and hickory - all in the same neighborhood.

Very narrow, pale boards = maple? If so, staining it is difficult, and natural is lovely.

Can you post a closeup of the boards? And an overall shot of the floors?

o
RE: Floor Refinishing Folk Victorian

If narrow probably floorboards are original. If light, I would guess maple. I would NOT stain vintage floors as the aged wood will have developed a beautiful rich amber glow not possible to duplicate with colored stains - just waterlox or some sort of clear finish is all you need. Sounds like you may not have had a lot of wood finishing experience? You may want to get some quotes if you are thinking of sanding - but be careful of the type of pro who wants to take off too much and try to make it look new. With vintage floors you need to be very conservative about not taking off too much - there's only so many sandings a floor can take. That's why the above poster's advice is agood, about trying cleaning and buffing first before thinking about sanding.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here