Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anybody have Saniflo products?

Posted by palimpsest (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 6, 10 at 10:30

I am thinking of making an offer on the 200 year old house with the toilet in the stairwell, which is behind the house proper. (These are row houses with rooms in front and a narrower wing in back that is all stairwell).

The adjacent third floor bedroom, which is in front and to one side of this lone toilet cubicle would be the best place for an additional full bath. However, the pitch of the existing horizontal stack would raise it above the floor level with the additional length. (Pic in "what do you think of this plumbing?") thread.

Does anyone have experience with the Saniflo macerating pumps that allow bathrooms to be put in basements and remote from stacks? It would only be a few feet to this stack but without something like this the entire stack might need to be changed.

As an aside I looked at the house again during an open house and the other people were discussing with the agent about how much money and effort it would take to gut the entire back of the house to get "halfway decent" stairs, kitchen and bathrooms inot the house...

Here is a link that might be useful: Saniflow toilets and macerating pumps.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anybody have Saniflo products?

Palimpsest, not sure about the Saniflo brand, but I had years of experience with marine heads, when they were the macerating type. The brand I rember the most was Raritan, made in NJ somewhere.

The macerating systems had to be kept clear of any paper or other foreign objects. They were somewhat temperamental if the user was not educated on how to use them.

And, I realized that the term HEAD MAN defined the job of the boat Captain as the one who had to fix the HEAD should it become clogged.

o
RE: Anybody have Saniflo products?

I have been through the house again and I think there are two options each of which is better. I also does not appear I would be allowed by code to use this since it is not below the sewer line. There is something called the Philadelphia single stack system that is now in the int'l plumbing code and the issue may possibly be resolved within those parameters or with a different design. The house has 10' ceilings on the second floor which allow for some options (by lowering the ceiling in that one room) that I hadn't considered.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here