Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oldfixer

Kitchen Cabinet Shelves Rehab

oldfixer
10 years ago

Another spur-of-the moment kitchen project, not on the 'list'. Fiddling in some of the kitchen cabinets prompted the idea that they could use a good cleaning. These are on two walls, and include a corner. No reason to get over-zealous about cabinets, it's a box on the wall with shelves. Action was enhanced by the fact that they were lined with fabulous designer contact paper ------- that gawdy, obnixious, colorful flowery kind that at one time seemed cool. Time to rehab, plain and simple. Lotsa cabinets meant lotsa stuff inside. Emptying them stacked all the crap on 3 tables in 3 rooms, for longer than anticipated. Thanks to the old folks, the shelves were removable, and went to the basement. Shelf brackets came off. Luckily, the multiple layers of contact paper on the back wall peeled off without much difficulty. Here's the work in process, and a short detour story.

See that pink spot? I cut a hole to satisfy my curiosity. This old castle has a side entrance. Probably at one time just a few steps, but you entered directly into the kitchen. A small foyer was built, with a side porch, and the entrance moved to enter into the dining room. Creating ample space in the kitchen for upper & lower cabinets. Peeking into the hole I cut was proof positive, there was the old doorway, complete with trim. Ha.

Even after removing the contact paper, I wasn't happy with the back wall, nothing but that thin masonite board. Quite simple to cut some squares of drywall and cover it up. Slop on some paint for a clean, fresh look.

Off to the basement, and the shelves. Removing contact paper found paint. But very rough surface boards, plus a bit warped and wobbly. Stupid to try and fix them. Easier, and more cost effective, to go buy new boards. Measurements taken, and new wood cut to match old pieces for a perfect fit. Ah, new wood --- so pretty. Don't DARE paint this. Stain & Poly!!! No problem, just added some extra time for 3 coats of Poly on both sides of each board. Also had to sand, stain & poly the bottom of the cabinets to match. Reinstall brackets and slide new shelves into position. Project complete.

Whoops, reload cabinets with junk. Can't even see the shelves! Oh well, it's clean and nice.

Comments (3)