Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenquest_gw

Dirt Floor basement, flooding & health problems.

gardenquest
17 years ago

Hello I am new to this section, from the garden or kitchen remodel sections......but i am here to ask some questions about dirt floor basements.

We own a old city house, 1860 or so. The basement has one section that is dirt floor w/ stone walls. We have lived here for 8 years w/o any problems, until last spring the main drain had gotten plugged up and it backed up through all 3 rooms with sewage and yucky water..Since the basement if not finished, we do not use it except to change furnace filter or something. My question to you folks today is......the 2 times this water back up, i have experianced allergy symptoms which i do not normally get...and i am convinced it is from the wet mud and yucky air going through the house from that water soaking that dirt floor to the bottm. Is there any thing to do to clean the air or cover that dirt up to stop the poor air quality from floating through to the rest of the house? I know it is the problem with my health prob because when i leave the house for a length of time i am fine, and then start sneezing etc once i am back home.

Should i buy a dehumifier? Should we do something to that floor? bleach everything again? We would like to get some input, we cannot afford to have that dug out and laid concrete at this point in time. so anything that will help is greatly needed.

Comments (6)