Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scarlett2001

Why are some houses ...creepy?

scarlett2001
12 years ago

I'm not into the paranormal, etc. but we are fixing up an old house and it gives me the most uncomfortable feeling. When my husband goes out for supplies, I sit out on the front porch. I have asked a few close friends to come over and none of them felt creeped out.

Why do some homes give a good feeling and some..not so much?

DH is talkimg about living in it after we fix it up. Yikes! I sure don't want to.

Comments (35)

• slateberry
    12 years ago

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
    Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

I don't know what you're experiencing. It may be that some detail, color, object, or design element of the house is triggering a subconscious memory for you. I think that's more likely than something psychic being wrong with the house.

But, having been a skeptic all my life and yet terrified by ghosts in horror movies, I can say that I'm starting to turn into a believer. I was in an older house once, standing in a bedroom door chatting with my kids who were in the bed, and while we were talking, the light switch clicked off, then back on again. I asked the kids if they'd seen it, because I also believe many ghost stories are hallucinations, and I was stressed and sleep deprived when it happened. But they had all seen the room go dark and light again, and I'd heard the click of the switch.

Another time, I was playing a CD and the music suddenly got turned up quite a bit. There was nobody else around. I checked with an engineer to see if there was an explanation for the stereo doing it on its own--nothing. The funny thing is, in both instances, I didn't feel the least bit scared--me, who can't even watch the movie Poltergeist.

I linked one of my favorite haunted house stories below. Actually it's a collection. I really like the way Craig went down in the kitchen to "reason with" the ghosts. I wish I knew what he said because apparently it worked.

So, you might just try walking around the house with your husband, having a conversation with this "creepy feeling thing", and tell him/it/whatever that you have only the best intentions so it might as well get over you and play nice.

You might also try to do some research into the history of the house and the people who lived there in the past. If it's benign, good. If not, you'll have a better chance of persuading your husband to move on.

Here is a link that might be useful: Craig and Yvonne's ghost stories

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

What creeps you out, about the house? Does it smell musty...that could be mold, in the cellar. Does it seem creepy, because the layout is awkward? Do you feel like someone is watching you? There are all kinds of reasons that a house may appear to be kind of creepy, but most can be explained, easily enough.

All that being said, I do think some objects (including houses) can retain the energy or vibrations from events or people that have used them. And who knows...maybe you do have a ghost. I think Slateberry has the right idea...do your research. If you plan to keep the home, you'll want to know its history, anyway. People will ask and I think you'd be curious.

For now, I'd concentrate on fixing it up, then either flipping it...or deciding (once it's all renovated) whether you want to live there, or not. It might be quite charming, once you finish :)

• worthy
    12 years ago

I bought a Chevy once from a downtown dealership. Sometime later, the building was razed for a new condo. In the footings were found the remains of a murdered woman who had disappeared in 1948. For 50 years no one had apparently noticed a thing.

• danvirsse
    12 years ago

The house we're renovating to live in definately had a "being" there when we first started. My DH, who is very insensative to "feelings" didn't notice anything. I've lived in another house with a pair of ghosts, so I'm more attuned. Since the presence was mostly in a the dining room, which I really liked, but was in the portion of the home which had to be torn down, I stood in the room and explained our intentions. I told the being why that portion of the home needed to be razed and then explained that we'd be completely renovating the remaining portion so it could become our new home. The "being" is still around, but no longer creepy or upsetting. I like to think of it as a she, and she just is keeping tabs on our progress. Ghosts, or whatever else you think of them as, are no big deal lots of times.

• barbarajon
    12 years ago

Yeah it happens�a matter of vibes; some places do not give a positive atmosphere.

• concretenprimroses
    12 years ago

When i was young I rented an apartment in a victorian house from an antique dealer who used the big front rooms to display things so part of the house was "empty", his apartment was downstairs, directly under mine in the back of the house. One night I was all alone in the house with just my golden retriever and I thought I heard someone in the front uninhabited part of the house. Thinking my landlord must have returned home and be out there, I opened up my "backdoor" which was at the top of the big main stairs to the second floor. Something whooshed or blew in past me. The dog got all strange and stiff haired. No windows or doors were open to explain why I felt something "blow" by me. I was scared but nothing else happened.

In my current home I used to hear footsteps on the second floor when i was alone (I like quiet, no radio or tv). Turns out it was squirrels in the attic, but i would have sworn they were footsteps. Hasn't happened since we got rid of the squirrels. I was almost dissappointed.

Kathy

• scarlett2001
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I don't believe in ghosts, although I do realize that we don't "know everything". I do not watch silly ghost shows like "Ghost Adventures" because I think they are just dumb. I don't feel a "presence" and have not had any unusual experiences, like the ones you have described, or anything supernatural in the house, just a feeling of very strong revulsion. Every time we go there, I just want to get the heck out!

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

Scarlett- Can you tell us, specifically, what gives you such a strong revulsion? For me, usually it's a smell or a heavy, damp feeling. Both are associated with decay. How bad a shape is this house in? Are there parts that have mold or a basement/cellar with a lot of water damage?

I've always believed that if something makes you uncomfortable, find out why...don't ignore it. Is it something specific to the house or is it that your DH is talking about living there? Is it not at all your dream house, even fixed up?

I think there may be two problems here...the condition of the house and the fact that you might be feeling pushed into something you don't want to do. Whatever is happening, stand up for yourself and try to decide what is giving you such a strong feeling of revulsion.

Whatever you do...don't ignore this. There's usually a reason we feel uncomfortable in certain situations. Maybe start talking to DH about testing for mold, which can be very expensive to get rid of, especially in an old house. That might make him rethink this whole situation :)

• chibimimi
    12 years ago

Does it remind you of a home associated with an unpleasant memory? For example, where your worst childhood enemy lived or a scene in a movie that frightened you?

• 66and76
    12 years ago

About 15 years ago, an old house (early 1920's)down the street from ours came on the market. It was in good condition and pleasant to look at , inside and out. For months, people came to see the house, but no one ever made an offer. Finally, after sitting vacant for almost two years, it was sold. Since that time, the house has changed owners at least 5 times. I recently heard someone say that the elderly, original owner had hanged himself in one of the upstairs bedrooms. Maybe each new owner "felt something" that gave them the creeps.

This brings up the question: If "ghosts" are suspected to be in a house, does the seller have to disclose that information to a potential buyer?

• scarlett2001
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The house is circa 1927, husband bought it 30 years ago, long before we were maried, lived in it for several years, has used it for storage last 15 years, because he lives with me. Nothing creepy or tragic in its history. We have given it a good cleaning, repainted, made repairs to plumbing and roof. Nothing unusual, no skeletons in the closets, etc.

The kitchen is needing a remodel, but it has a nice big yard, good neighborhood, has a few art deco features, many people who have worked on it say they like the place, nobody but me is creeped out by it.

No, no old memories I can think of. My parents did buy and rennovate an old house when I was a kid, but it turned out very nice and I grew up there and lived there until I left home. No bad memories.

One thing, my husband did not rent it out or try to sell it for the last 15 years, when the market here was booming - I keep asking why and he has no answer, except he liked a place to store his stuff. That seems unusual to me, as he is pretty smart about money and that was a big waste of it.

As for disclosing theoretical ghosts - if they don't exist, how can you disclose them? Take New Orleans for example, according to the locals, every house, hotel, and coffee shop is haunted, yet people buy and sell them all the time.

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

It sounds like your husband has an attachment to this house, whether he wants to admit it or not. That's probably why he didn't rent of sell it and just 'stores his stuff' in it.

So your husband lived in this house for about 15 years, before he met you. Did he live there, with anyone else? Maybe deep down...that's what's bothering you? Hey, I could be completely off base here, but it's just a thought.

• columbusguy1
    12 years ago

I think lavender might be onto something--you subconsciously don't want to live where your husband has previous associations without you--if you have nothing against living in another old house, then that is probably it. Give it some very long and deep consideration--do you see this house as a 'rival' for your husband's attention? Be honest with yourself.
    If your relationship with him is secure it will work out--do you always want to get your own way in discussions, or is it an equal relationship based on mutual agreement and sound logic? Are you resenting the house because he 'seems to love it more than you'?
    If the area is nice, the lot is great, and the house has nice features, those are all great reasons to keep it and live in it yourselves, rather than go deep into debt to repair another place just because it has no ties to him previously.
    I am not trying to belittle you or your feelings, but most people have a hard time taking a hard, dispassionate look at themselves and their motivations--I have trouble doing the same thing! Some time when you and the house are alone, sit inside, clear your head, and think positively about the place, going over its good points--if there are 'spirits', maybe this would help them to accept a new person into the house. Myself, I don't believe in them--but I have always felt more at home in an older house, whether it's just the style or something more 'paranormal', I don't know, but then, I can almost always tell if I can trust or 'bond' with a person in just a few minutes--and have only been wrong about it once in my life.

• scarlett2001
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Nope, he was between marriages when he lived there. Bought the three bedroom house so his kids from his previous marriage had their own rooms when they came to visit. All grown now.

I don't think he has any big attachment to it because when we got together he wanted to move in with me (I'm a renter), did not ask me to move in there. The houses are not too far away from each other. Plus I think that he would not have let it get into such disrepair if he really liked it.

Oh, who knows. I just have to get over it! "Drive it or park it" ya know.

• mrstan1234
    12 years ago

I will add my two cents - Yes, I've been "creeped" out in a house. An ex and I had a duplex victorian in our state capitol. Nice place that needed a lot of work.

I was the primary "fixer" so I was there alone a lot. The basement - was old, but completely open - and not what one would usually call creepy. But every time I went down there, I got the most horrible feeling. I would do what I needed to do and literally run up the stairs, keeping an eye down the stairs. I hated it.

Many things happened in the house, that were unexplainable, since I was working alone... or rather "alone" in the house usually. My table saw, that took temporary residence in the dining room while renovating the kitchen, was unplugged after EACH and EVERY use. I would cut, carry the piece into the kitchen, walk back to make an adjustment to the cut, and UNPLUGGED.

We also had a weird plant ledge in front of a window that was only accessible by climbing over the upstairs landing railing. I was on this ledge one evening, making repairs to the window - Hammer. GONE. Never found again.

We had a random dinner a few months later with some friends and their freinds - one of which was a tarot card reader (not sure I believe in that, but still) He looked at me - and finally said - "I feel there is something in your home you are struggling with" I was a little shocked. He proceeded to explain that he felt very hostile negative male energy attached to the house, and specifically to the lower levels. It scared me to death.

The funny part is - I always was scared on the lower levels, but the upper levels always seemed to be playful little nuisances. Nothing scary.

Now, that the home is sold and the relationship long dissolved, I attribute all that negative male energy to the relationship that should have been ended long before. LOL.

• scarlett2001
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Okay...you're scaring me now.

If stuff like that happened to me, I would be gone so fast it would look like the Roadrunner - just a blur of legs and feet.

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

I think I would take one small space in the house...and bring in some flowers, maybe a few candles, a special tea or coffee cup and a chair with an end table. Make it your space and see if you still have the creepy feeling. Try to choose a sunny spot by a nice window, if there's any area that can be used that way.

See if you still have the creepy feeling, then I'd talk to your husband and see how serious he really is about living in the house and why. Just an idea :)

• renovator8
    12 years ago

Does your husband like to sleep during the day and go out alone at night?

I find low ceilings and the absence of good natural and artificial lighting can make a house uncomfortable. So can dark woodwork and dark colors, especially on the ceiling.

Stay out of the basement if the floor has recently been disturbed.

• Saypoint zone 6 CT
    12 years ago

Regarding disclosure to prospective buyers, in CT, at least, you must disclose anything that happened in the house that could affect people's perceptions of it, i.e. a murder, suicide, or something that could turn people off. I think this is more intended to protect the new owners' financial interest in the property, or they might think later that they are unable to sell or get their price because of something that was discovered later. Unless there has been violent poltergeist activity, I'm guessing you are not required to say if you think a house may be haunted or it gives you the creeps.
    My old house is reputed to be haunted. A couple of previous occupants have reported small items turning up in odd places and the scent of lavender appearing for no reason on the staircase. A couple of neighbors looked at us a bit sideways when we told them which house we lived in, and the middle school "history walk" past my house to visit the historic burial ground nearby stops in front of my house while the wide-eyed kids listen to a story of a hidden room found in the house long ago during some renovations.
    I've lived here for 10 years, and apart from some odd creaks, have never felt anything unpleasant or scary. I'm not sure I believe in hauntings, but if there are ghosts, it could be that I'm scarier than they are, and they are behaving themselves. In fact, if it weren't for the lack of insulation and expensive maintenance, I'd stay here forever. As it is, we'll probably downsize into something easier to take care of when we retire.
    I am made very uncomfortable by low ceilings and lack of natural light, but it's more claustrophobia than anything else. I'd take a ghost over bad decorating any day.

• old_house_j_i_m
    12 years ago

Sounds like some on here are offering some pretty wise info. If the house has a style that isnt quite yours, it will feel weird, but maybe not creepy.

Architecture can affect your feelings in that space. Some spaces, while small, just soar, while others that are huge in cubic feet feel cramped and uncomfortable.

Then theres the energy that is left by people who have been there. This is sometimes called "haunting" but it isnt relegated to those who have died. It could be a bad vibe left by a less than reputable person who is still alive.

I once looked at a house with my joyful upbeat realtor. She was unable to assist me in purchasing that house because she was not licensed in that state so I went to see it with another realtor who was. The house was totally different on that trip and it wasnt the house, the realtor left such a negative black cloud that I hated the house when we were thru.

Then there is the energy of repetition left in a house. In my own house there is an energy on the staircase. we see things fly up and down it, sip around and dissappear. We know the house is haunted by the spirit of a girl who grew up here, but we believe that the staircase things are just residual energy from all the exciting families that have lived here in the past. many happy memories (ok, as I am writing this my dog is growling at something on the stairs ... go figure)

If the feeling is always ominous or bad, you do need to have a heart-to-heart with your other half. redecorating, if that isnt whats causing the discomfort, will not cure the creepiness.

• scarlett2001
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Good Lord! Are you guys pulling my leg? I get it - I said I don't believe in the paranormal, so now you are trying to spook me? Uh huh, you are doing a great job!

Lavendar Lass, I will try your suggestions. (Is that your scent that Saypoint smells on his/her staircase?)

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

You never know.... :)

• chibimimi
    12 years ago

"My old house is reputed to be haunted. A couple of previous occupants have reported small items turning up in odd places ..."

Several years ago we lived in a house where objects would disappear, then reappear later in odd, illogical places. We began to wonder if the house was haunted. Then one day we realized it wasn't spirits who were responsible, but rather our high-spirited three-year-old son!

One of the reasons I'm glad we have cats is that we can blame them for all the things that go bump in the night.

• scarlett2001
    Original Author
    12 years ago

That's another thing - the house had some evidence of mice, so we took our cat over, just to get her scent around, as a mouse deterrent Well, Puss did that thing they do - looking over your shoulder with big, staring eyes. Like there is something awful right behind you. I took her home immediately. But she does that anyway. I think they learn to do that in Cat School or something.

• mccall
    12 years ago

to the OP,
    I suggest you either get an emf meter yourself or contact your local TAPS affiliat and have someone check to see if there are high emf readings in areas you feel uncomfortable.

Also the house is not near High power lines is it? again high EMF, Is there limestone in the house, say foundation? again high emf readings. High EMF can cause many creepy or sick feelings in those more sensitive to them.

• scarlett2001
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Electromagnetic fields??! Wow, I will check on that. Thanks.

• shazapple
    12 years ago

The front of my grandparents house feels very similar, and I think it has to do with how the rooms are setup. It is closed off most of the year because it is just the two of them, but still setup 'as if' it is used. Chairs, tables, sofas, nic nacks, but it is too organized and only has the appearance of life. Add to the fact that it is always a little colder and quieter and you have a very odd feeling house.
    Switch on some lights, open up the blinds, add some life to the furnishings!

• Ina Plassa_travis
    12 years ago

I'm kind of curious what KIND of uncomfortable the feeling is...it could be nothing more than the acoustics of the place, or something equally subliminal - the orientation of the house, where and how the light falls, the smell of plaster dust, where you're used to drywall...new homes that are so tightly insulated that you can feel the vacuum when you pull the front door open drive me quietly nuts, for intstance.

part of the problem is, of course, that once you responded to that feeling by stepping outside, the idea of 'creepy' kind of set hold, and started feeding on your behavior - by avoiding it, you created fear, by becoming fearful you had a reason to avoid it, and that can go round and round forever...

and at no point to I have to know if the cat is looking at something, or simply the number and type of dust motes in the room - if I choose to personify those feelings and speak of the house fae, or spirit? that's just me, it's a language that I find useful. could be electromagnetic charges, could be inner-ear pressure changes, could be memories from before you learned to talk, it could be anything or nothing...
    but I do know that Lav's got a great idea for getting you and the house used to one another - another is to talk to the house, compliment it, maybe even have your husband introduce you to the house like it's a spinster aunt - sometimes, rituals like that need to no more than speak to the part of us that never quite stops being afraid of new or unfamiliar things.

• energy_rater_la
    12 years ago

well I reckon none of y'all watched Paranormal Activity?

LOL!

just couldn't resist.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    12 years ago

Sounds like the plot of a TV show!

• scarlett2001
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I really hate those shows - have never got through a whole one of them because they are too silly. Every show of that genre seems to have a formula - always the same thing. See one, you have seen them all. Especially the ones where they record a little bit of static that they transform into some kind of "message from beyond". I can't believe people make so much money "acting" in those shows.

• nycefarm_gw
    12 years ago

I visited and lived in my grandfather's (250 year-old) farm house for years and cannot count the number of people that would ask while standing in the same spot if the house was haunted. It never really bothered me as I don't believe there is anything really evil there...

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

Scarlett- How are things going with the old house? Did you find anything to like, yet? You know, taking some lavender into the house might help...certain herbs (lavenders, mints, bee balm) are said to ward off 'evil spirits'. At least, that's what I tell my nieces, when they play in the fairy garden...which is really just a garden with lots of roses, herbs and other flowers, but they feel like the fairies, when they visit :)

A bit off topic, but I'm tired of winter and snow and thought you might be, too. {{!gwi}}From Lavender's Garden

• scarlett2001
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Lavender lass - that is beautiful! Wow! What a great place for a summer wedding or an afternoon stroll. Do you keep all that up yourself or do you have a crew of gardeners?

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

Thanks! The nice thing about perennials is that they take up lots of space and help keep the weeds down. I used to weed everything about three times a summer, but now it's two, since I found out the weeds keep the deer out of the garden, in the winter. When the flowers quit blooming, the deer start chewing on the roses, but if I leave the weeds until spring...the deer stay out (don't like these weeds) and the birds have lots of seeds and hiding areas :)