Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I'd like to remove drop ceiling and replace with wood....how to?

Posted by dmissy (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 3, 07 at 0:18

I cannot stand the last remaining drop ceiling in back mud room. Aside from drywall, is there a way to nail boards or maybe a rafter look? It is not a large area. Not sure, if I want to tackle or have someone do?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I'd like to remove drop ceiling and replace with wood....how

Bead board is available at most of the building stores, lumber yards. It is what people use on porch ceilings. You will also need a piece of moulding to cover the joints at the walls. And it isn't easy to nail over your head.
How about some furring strips stained every 32"? Easier to install, makes a pattern. If the space is small, though, might be too busy. If the space is full of stuff, being a mud room, simplicity might be the best answer.

o
RE: I'd like to remove drop ceiling and replace with wood....how

I have been removing drop ceilings in my old house also and replacing them with tongue and groove beadboard. I've been using a white pickeling stain and then a satin poly to seal it.

To put up the boards, I fastened 2x4's to the joists (through a layer of nasty plaster) and shimmed them to level. Then I nailed the tongue and groove boards up with a brad nailer/small compressor. The finished product looks nice- I plan on doing the same in most of my rooms.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here