Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
1880 iowa farm house - a porch?

Posted by pinch_me (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 21, 10 at 23:06

The kitchen in my house used to be the porch. I want a porch again but how do I figure out how to do it? It's as plain jane as you can get. According to A Field Guide To American Houses it is a Folk Victorian. With the porch now incorporated into the house I don't see how I can add a new porch. I found lots of images under that heading but most of them don't match the book. The link I used below is as close as I got in a quick search.

Here is a link that might be useful: this L shape

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 1880 iowa farm house - a porch?

To help you maybe what we really need is a pic of your house. You'd be surprised what this group can come up with once they can see what they are dealing with.

o

I can't find a good one so I'll take a new one Thursday. Ice storm for tomorrow.

o
RE: 1880 iowa farm house - a porch? Where?How?

Here it is! To the west is a highly traveled gravel road. Can you say DUST? To the north is pasture. South is the driveway, I would rather not move it. East is already taken with buildings.

Photobucket

o

Are you in a position to do a major renovation, or just budgeting a few thousand for a porch? I'm wondering if you could build onto the back of the house (you gave NSEW, but I'm not good at figuring that out in relation to the photo! lol). Is the pasture yours so you could borrow space from it? Do you have land around the house to build onto? I think the addition on the front just looks out of place. With a carte blanche budget, I would remove it and relocate the kitchen. Then build the porch back on like it probably was originally. But I know budgets aren't always as large as we would like them to be!

o

Budget porch! I just did a major kitchen remodel. The gravel road would be on the left side of the picture. I own the pasture but my horses live in it. I would put a porch on the front door if it weren't so close to the road....or if there was a way to shield it from the dust. I am not going to pay the $1200 it would cost to have dust control each summer.

I'm certain the enclosure that is now the kitchen was the porch at one time. When I had it down to the studs I could see the prexisting doors and windows. It obviously was the porch, especially being a single story. The evidence I found suggests it was made into the kitchen in 1950.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here