Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone have pictures of their breakfast areas?

Posted by lavender_lass (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 16, 10 at 22:46

I'm wondering if anyone has pictures of their kitchen/breakfast areas. Do you eat breakfast in the dining room? At a breakfast nook? At the island/counter in the kitchen?

Do you like the way this works, or would you like to change it? Thank you :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone have pictures of their breakfast areas?

Many of the books about bungalows have pictures of kitchen eat-in areas....Jane Powell has an entire book out called Bungalow Kitchens.

We use our dining room full time for meals. Our dining room and kitchen are side by side and it's easy to get us and the food from one to the other. We still use meals as the time to actually talk to each other:) and want to keep it that way.

o

My sister's old farmhouse @1875? has an eat-in kitchen and no dining room...house has been added to over the years, so I don't know the original layout of that part, but I don't like it--yes, it's easy to get food from one place to another especially holidays--but a formal dining room just makes meals more special. I'd rather not stare at dirty dishes while eating. :)

o

I've got a 1830's house. Federal style. Off of the kitchen is a room that has two built in china cabinets (actually one and half, some idjut sawed off the top of the one cabinet) and the servant stairs, they go up to the area where the servants slept on the back of the house with a door blocking the stairs and another door that closes the room off from the kitchen. When we bought the house I was told it was the breakfast room. I have a dining room table and six chairs in it now. We use it when there's just a few of use eating a meal. The dining room is on the other side of the kitchen out of the view of the kitchen.
I like having a choice of where we can eat. Makes it more special when we use the formal dining room with the fireplace plus given how often this house is torn up for one reason or another having options is always good!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here