Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
moosbrugger

Another Plaster Crack Question

moosbrugger
10 years ago

My house is from the 1880s. I'm in Dutchess County, NY. I have no idea when the walls were last plastered. I bought the place about ten years ago. Over the past few years, I've noticed a few issues that concern me.

The biggest problem are cracks/lifting of plaster from certain walls. It seems to be about a 1/8" or 1/4" skim coat over the plaster that is cracking and lifting up. There's a photo below. Is it possible to post more than one photo? (I don't know anything about plaster.) It happens on some walls -- generally interior, not exterior. Adjacent walls seem fine. The worst is inside an interior stair well.

Any thoughts on why this is happening? I can't tell if it's a seasonal issue. Perhaps it's due to temps swings -- in the winter, I leave the heat down to 50* or 55* during the week.

What is the best way to fix this? I've seen some products for injecting an adhesive behind the lifting portion and then screwing it down. But I would have to do a lot of this. Would I do better pulling off the lifting portions and re-plastering? Any thoughts for avoiding this?

Second, I'm noticing a lot of pencil line cracks. They don't even feel like cracks -- it looks like someone has drawn some fine pencil lines on the walls. Fo some, I can see that someone in the past taped over a crack there. I think others have actually become cracks. Any thoughts?

Third, on one wall, I've noticed a long bulge. It looks like there is a snake under the plaster. It's not cracking. If I press it, it doesn't move -- it's not as if it's come loose from the lathing and can be pushed back. Again -- any thoughts?

Thanks in advance. I'd like to get a handle on this before it gets worse. I'm hoping its something that I can deal with myself.

Stone

Comments (5)