Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lov_mkitchen

Window well covers

I need new window well covers and instead of buying the "cheap" covers again, I am looking at alternatives.

I'm ready to throw a dart at the brochures and just take whatever I hit.

This is "cheap". http://0192b3c.netsolstores.com/rectangleegress.aspx

I got a little tiny sample of the material these are made out of http://www.windowbubble.com/metal.htm and I'm very impressed. Unfortunately they don't answer email very quickly. And it takes forever for them to make one.

And this one http://www.monmatgrp.com/products/remodeling-replacement/covers-accessories

This is the one I have to order through Menard's http://shapeproducts.com/?page_id=32. It will be about $100

Any opinions? Votes? Experiences?

Comments (12)

• SparklingWater
    11 years ago

Hi, you might wish to look at this site below with whom I have no affiliation.

I just placed my order with them for four polycarbonate clear covers. Mine will have a 2 inch slop (like a clam shell) from back to front for water to run off as well as snap on clips with just enough height to allow enough air flow through so mold, moisture doesn't develop within the well or crawl space. I found them after web research and dissatisfaction with the look and design of most. Bob Jankowsky of Sales was very helpful in explaining their product(s) to me. I took the measurements carefully (width x depth) and gave them to the company today and they will start production. There is both a guarantee and warranty. Good luck to you and hope this helps.

http://www.windowwellcoverguys.com/photogallowprofile01.html

• Imhappy&Iknowit IOWA zone 4b
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm going to take a couple more pictures so better show the window placement.

http://s888.photobucket.com/albums/ac87/pinch\_me\_2009/ Here is a link that might be useful: [window link](http://s888.photobucket.com/albums/ac87/pinch_me_2009/)
  • SparklingWater
    11 years ago

lov_mkitchen, looking at your photos it seems the well depth is about 16" (depth to me is longest measurement from widest part of the front window well to the back of your house wall). That's what mine were about too.

I can't find the length of your window well (back outermost side of well, across the well, to the opposite back side of the well that abuts the wall). That would be the longest area of the well that makes the half circle.

In terms of height, the company I mentioned has snap on covers which allow a small amount of air passage to prevent mold/moisture, so the depth of your wells-which again are similar to mine-is not an issue (not flush to ground).

You need lengths and depths of all the wells individually, as there is often variance in the size of the aluminum wells themselves.

Hope this helps. SW

• scrappy25
    11 years ago

lov_mkitchen , can you share the ballpark price for these? they look good!

Original Author
    11 years ago

They're running around a $100 more or less. Most companies have covers that will fit flat to the well top and butt the foundation. My windows are the same height as the foundation and set into it to be flush inside. There is also a handle of some sort protruding almost an inch into the well so I think I will have to go with a bubble. I don't care what it looks like as long as the whole window and well is covered and I don't have to buy a new one in two years.

• scrappy25
    11 years ago

thanks, can I ask Sparkling Water what the ballpark price is for the polycarb ones in his/her link?

Original Author
    11 years ago

Scrappy, look at this one WindowWellExperts.com
    I've been in contact with Bob Jankowski there. He has overstock of the size I could use and is willing to deal. BUT add the Plus Shipping of $45.00 to it and it's still pricy! I HAVE to decide something. It's still nice this week but one of these days a blizzard will arrive and I need to be prepared. There are so many different companies and designs I might just put the cheap bubble on this time while I decide which good one to buy. Then I will do it next spring FOR SURE.

Here is a link that might be useful: window well cover

• SparklingWater
    11 years ago

Hello. Long day here winterizing the outdoors.

WindowWellExperts had the 2" slope (not slop as above, sorry) covers on sale for about $100 each (not much higher off sale, btw) plus shipping. I ordered four clam shell polycarbonate covers, each about 37" x 16". Mr. Jankowski verifies your measurements twice with you to ensure proper relay of size. I also sent him a photo of my well for their fabricators.

I'm glad this decision is made and feel comfortable with this company. The look, function and safety of the window well covers were important to me, as was the warranty. Hope this helps.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Be sure and come back after you get them on and again next spring to let us know how they held up. I hope I get something ordered from someone but if it doesn't happen yet this year, for sure by spring.

Original Author
    11 years ago

My 3 Bubble style window well covers finally arrived........about 2 months after I ordered them. If I would have seen these in a store at this price I would not have bought them. Of course I won't get them on until April or May. They have a 7 year warranty and I'll use 6 months of it with them sitting in my garage. I really don't see them lasting anywhere near that long.

Here is a link that might be useful: WindowWell Experts

• SparklingWater
    11 years ago

While they too took a while to arrive due to fabrication template and specs of measurements, my WindowWell Experts covers came and are just as they were advertised.

All four clear acrylic well covers fit the well precisely (we got the minimal slope covers) and clip on to the well edge, leaving a very small air gap for breathing below. They are very clear, something I notice each morning when picking up the paper. It's an aesthetic component I like.

Sure enough, the night they were put on they got their first trial: heavy, heavy ran during the night. They worked perfectly in keeping the water out of the house crawl space.

While the wait was long, they are worth it: durable, sharp looking, easy to install, and fit into the landscape. I have no hesitance in recommending them.

This post was edited by SparklingWater on Fri, Feb 15, 13 at 17:48

• babspat
    10 years ago

I know I'm a little late to this forum, but thought I would contribute in case anybody else was looking for a cover. I got my low profile covers made by Conquest Steel in Toronto. I couldn't believe how much cheaper and faster they were than the American companies I contacted. I had a custom sized cover about 3' x 1' made for me and it cost about $50 and was ready for pickup in 3 days. Freight to me would have only been $15 - but that maybe because I was located close to them. For more standard sized window well I was able to pickup on of their standard sized covers from my local Rona Hardware store. I'd recommend them to anybody needing a cover.

Here is a link that might be useful: Conquest Steel Window Well Covers

Sponsored
Elegant Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
VA & DC's Finest General Contractor