Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kled2008

Painting brick and selecting trim colors

kled2008
10 years ago

We are purchasing a home and I plan to paint the brick. (Photos attached). I know there are a lot of differing aesthetics out there and many would never consider painting brick. Though I value your individual preferences, I have always loved the look of off white/light neutral painted brick homes and would love suggestions on specific paint and trim colors. The home is brick and stone. My goal is to find an off white paint for the brick that does not turn creamy yellow or isn't to bright a white that will make the stone "pop"...possibly a shaded white with slight gray undertones. The windows are currently a shade of putty/greige/taupe and the casings and trim are cream. I'm thinking the windows and casing should be painted the same color? Should they be taupe or the off white of the house? There are shutters for the windows, but they have never been put up and I would like to find a putty/greige/taupe for them. Please take a look and give me your thoughts!!! Many thanks in advance.

Comments (11)

• sacto_diane
    10 years ago

By posting on an Old House forum, I think that you are just going to get a lot of feedback on why painting the brick is bad idea especially a stone building such as what are looking to purchase. Although it looks like modern construction, I don't understand why anyone would purchase a stone home and then ruin it by painting the stone. Sort of like moving next to an airport and then complaining about the air traffic.

IMHO, if you don't like the stone then buy a different house.

• PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    10 years ago

Painting the brick would be a very, very bad idea indeed.

• Saypoint zone 6 CT
    10 years ago

Since your home has no historical value, whether or not to paint is more a matter of taste and maintenance issues. Once you paint, you'll have to keep painting. How long it takes to peel enough to look bad depends on the paint, the application, any moisture coming through the brick, etc.
    An alternative to paint would be to investigate the possibility of putting a "lime wash" on it instead. this is what you are likely to see on old brick houses that have the coating applied as a protective layer. It tends to wash off unevenly, giving a charming antique look.
    I don't think the stone would look good painted, and i'm not sure how doing just the brick would look either. maybe you should photoshop it first.
    anyway, for color selection, the home decorating forum would be the place to ask.

• nickel_kg
    10 years ago

If I understand correctly, you're not painting the stone, only the brick, right? In this case I think the brick multi-colors compete with the stone multi-colors -- so painting the brick a uniform color might actually enhance the stonework. I'd go with a medium taupe -- not too light or it could emphasis the stonework's mortar instead of the stones themselves.

I've seen plenty of painted brick buildings that look nice. I've never ever ever seen a painted stone that looks nice. Ever.

• calliope
    10 years ago

It's an attractive home. Congrats. If you insist on painting the brick, I do believe you'd be best, as another poster has noted, to go to a putty/beige instead of a white or off white. It will compliment the stone better. Shutters? Those decorative ones or wrought iron? If it's those plastic louvered jobbers, oh please don't. It would look all wrong with those windows and that style of house.

That being said, I live in a triple course brick home somebody stuccoed down the line and then painted. When we had to re-stucco, it involved covering the whole house in a mesh to hold the new work. Sort of expanded the expense a lot. Had it not been painted, this would not have been necessary.

I think I see where you are coming from in painting the brick, inasmuch as it since it's basically the same shade as the stone it makes the two mediums look 'busier'. I'm not a fan of painting brick. I've seen it wick into surrounding stone and to me it's like finding a home with natural woodwork and then painting it white. It's your call, however, and it could look nice. Be aware that many people buy stone or brick homes so that they can get out of the expense of up-keeping the painting and if/when you sell this having painted brick could really influence a buyer.

• kled2008
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all so much for your thoughts. Lime washing might be a good option...will it create the more uniform look I'm interested in? I do think the brick competes with the stone and it all just blend together to much. I wish we could stone the entire home, but it's just not in the budget. What are your thoughts on split shake over the brick...allowing it to achieve a naturally gray patina? As far as the shutters go, they are hand made, custom, plank style shutters that fit the windows perfectly. I'm looking for antique style, operable hardware...does anyone have a suggestion on brands?

• detroit_burb
    10 years ago

good landscaping would solve the problem of the home looking busy. I would put the money in to a good landscape architect for a design, and hire out the base plantings then fill in over time.

this home needs greenery, not paint.

just my humble opinion.

This post was edited by detroit_burb on Wed, Dec 25, 13 at 20:15

• azzalea
    10 years ago

Have you considered the hit you're going to take when you try to sell the house? That's an absolutely gorgeous home as it sits. And it looks like a pretty expensive one. Paint the brick, and you are going to limit your available buyers to probably less than 10% (since few people like painted brick) of the number that might be available if the brick is left in it's beautiful original color. I know you're thinking about the buying process right now, but that home is going to lose a LOT of value, and be very difficult to resell if you paint the brick, no matter how much you like it yourself. Will you be okay, if you lose maybe 20-30% of the selling price because of the way the home looks at that point in time?

• emmarene9
    10 years ago

I have nothing against painted brick. It can look nice. Some of the historically protected houses in my town have painted brick (usually white) In your case I think you should live in the house before you decide. I also think you should put on the shutters you have now and give them a chance.
    Truly, your house needs no embellishments at all.

• Debbie Downer
    10 years ago

If its in a development (is that a neighbors house to the right in the 2nd photo?) there may be rules and agreements about what you can and can't do to a property.

I would look into mineral paints and stains before slapping on some paint that will peel and look like a mess... unless you know what you're doing. Its one thing to paint an old aged surface that's already had paint on for half a century on it vs. choosing to change a new, virtually maintenance free surface into one that will forever need fussing and prepping, scraping, and repainting

• PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    10 years ago

The original post was back in November, I doubt they are still looking for answers here.