Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roofcolor_gw

help choosing shingle color

roofcolor
10 years ago

My house it not all that old, but it sure needs lots of work inside and out. Would greatly appreciate opinions & comments on roof color. I have purchased CertainTeed Landmark Architectural Shingles and need to choose color. http://www.certainteed.com/resources/LandmarkSeriesBrochSoutheast.pdf Page 14

Comments (5)

• roofcolor
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Full house photo.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    10 years ago

Of course it depends on individual taste, but I personally dislike browns on a roof, and also very light greys on most homes. Some people want to match their brick but I never think it looks good. Also, be sure it doesn't have too much blue in the color which wouldn't look good with your warm colors (a neighbor made that mistake recently). I would also avoid a very dark color (due to heat retention).

I like "Driftwood" the best, "weathered wood" , maybe "Georgetown grey" or "Thunderstorm grey" or "slate blend". Wish I could photoshop the various choices on to your picture. Can you do that?

• roofcolor
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I filled out the CertainTeed Colorview, but am waiting the 5 to 7 business days. Have you ever used it? If so, does it have good results?
    I am leaning toward driftwood, but it has a cool tone, do you still think it would be good?
    Weathered wood is a warm tone and I like the colors, but roofer said it would read green. It is lighter.
    Going to try and look @ sample boards. I was wonderding about the Georgetown grey myself, but had not thought about Thunderstorm grey. It looks kind of busy from the net photos.
    I live in humid GA so the streaks are algae, so some say black - the moire black, but I hate to go that dark.
    Also here in GA we have days/months of over 100 degrees.

• dedtired
    10 years ago

The colors on my house are very much like the colors on yours, except you really don't see the brick at all on the front of my house. The brick was painted by some idiot previous owner. The other three sides are unpainted brick. My siding and door color are similar.

I used Certainteed Landmark in Colonial Slate. I love it. It is dimensional looking and is a mix of gray colors. You should consider it!

• roofcolor
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Roofer is supposed to drop off a sample of your Colonial Slate Color today. Does it look good with the brick too? If you have pictures of your front and sides of house with brick, I would love to see them. Would you describe it as medium or medium dark?

I have almost resigned myself to black out of fear how the whole roof will look in a color. The Georgetown gray looks really good with the cream/yellow siding, but worried it would be too light for the brick. It does not "match" the brick. The weathered wood seems to "match" brick and siding, but also worried it would be a bit too light.

In most cases, I am not a fan of painted brick either unless it is totally shot. There are always exceptions though. I was just reading where you can lightly spray brick with paint. I believe the term was fogging. Not interested in doing that for this house though.