Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Primer VS Rain

Posted by jrgrower (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 10, 07 at 19:44

I just started painting my house. I managed the spray the primer on today. I hoped to put the finishing coats on tomorrow but my experience today told me that I can't completely finish tomorrow. OK, here is my question. After tomorrow we have a couple of days of rain coming. Will the primer hold OK through a couple days rain? I used Killz2 latex primer. There are spots that are bare and most is painted so I just sprayed the whole house. I would prefer not to rush the paint job tomorrow and just concentrate on completing the priming and finish after the rain. Yay or Nay any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,
Jim

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Primer VS Rain

primer should be ok for a couple weeks,might even tell you on the can somewhere.

o

Thanks, thats a big relief.
Jim

o

The other day on 'Ask This Old House' they featured a house painter who said that exposed primer is good for 30 days. I don't know if that estimate takes rainy weather in to consideration.

o

My concern would not be how long the primer is good for, but how much dirt may settle on you siding while waiting for the finish coat. This could cause adhesion issues between primer and finish coast.

As an example, if you live near a major highway or an airport, you may wish get your final coat on more quickly than if you live in a more rural area.

If there are bare spots, I would wait 2 days after rain b-4 finish coat.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here