Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Obscure glass for an Arts & Crafts bathroom?

Posted by artemis78 (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 30, 09 at 19:27

We're about to replace a bathroom window in our 1915 California Arts & Crafts home, and want to do the lower pane in obscure glass since the neighbors look right in. I'm hoping to figure out what type of obscure glass might look appropriate in a bathroom of that vintage---any ideas?

The window is a double-hung original wooden window and will be replaced with a virtually identical window a local shop is making. (The old one has dry rot throughout, so it wasn't salvageable.) The room itself is a mish-mash of styles but we eventually hope to renovate it back to a fairly simple traditional A&C look.

If anyone has suggestions on a period-appropriate pattern or could share what styles of obscure glass your old home has, that would be wonderful. I've had florentine glass (little flowers) suggested, though I'm not in love with it; still poking around for other options. (We're not committed to a pattern that's necessarily period itself---but ideally want something that at least looks appropriate and not blatantly modern, as a lot of the obscure glass options seem.)

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Obscure glass for an Arts & Crafts bathroom?

Sandblasted and glue-chip are the earliest types; I think by 1915, the pressed types were also being made; I have seen a old catalog online IIRC of pressed glass from the 30's. If you have a good eye it should be apparent which ones are too Art Deco, which you would want to steer clear of.
Casey

o

If you wind up having to buy new glass, Rockler makes a few pressed types that might be stylistically appropriate, like this one, called 'Rain':

Here is a link that might be useful: Rockler textured glass

o
ps: leaded/stained?

Oh, PS, in my craftsman bungalow the bathroom window is stained glass with a very simple block pattern, if that helps. Your best luck might be to scour salvage places and eBay to find one that fits.

o

Thanks for the tips! We could definitely go the salvage approach, but figured since we're replacing the windows anyway, might as well go to double-paned glass in them. (There are three rotting windows, all on the same side of the house, because they get a lot of exposure to the elements there---hoping the new windows will help on that front with tighter fits, too.) I like the rain pattern, though, and also a hammered glass I'd seen---just can't tell if they really look appropriate or will stick out like a sore thumb. (We'll probably keep a curtain there anyway, but want the option of getting rid of that at some point, since the bathroom gets awesome natural light if only it weren't for the neighbors' window!) I'm actually curious as to what the original glass was---clearly what's there now was replaced at some point, and the house that looks in predates our house by a decade, so they clearly knew about the issue when they designed it. Hmm....

o

I saw some window film at Benjamin Moore which you put on with water. I used some years ago that I had to order from the UK, it worked really well.

o

There are a ton of window films out there if you want a quick and easy way of fixing the problem. They're generally not very hard to install either. Might be a good choice of an interim fix while you find the appropriate glass.

Most home centers have a basic "frost" pattern for under $20.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here