Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
old window rot repair question

Posted by lilafter (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 10, 11 at 19:18

i have 1921 double hung 6 over 6 windows and trim that are in various stages of disrepair from dry rot and termite damage. some are in pretty good shape and just need reglazing and paint.

south facing windows have the most damage.

what are the correct steps to treat and repair damaged windows and trim?
1. treat with homemade borate/glycol solution
2. wood hardener
3. wood filler- epoxy, putty

do i need to remove as much of the dry rot/soft wood first or will the borate/glycol solution followed with wood hardener stablize it?

read that borate/glycol weakens wood and bonding of wood filler?

live in los angeles, low humidity, stucco exterior.

being november, its not the best time to tackle window repairs, but i had some water dripping inside from one window during the last storm.

from the roof, i can see the problem window has metal flashing over the top of the badly weathered exterior trim.

i plan on keeping and repairing the original windows but not so sure about the exterior trim. would replacing it with similar sized but longer lasting trim (not wood) look horrible?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: old window rot repair question

I have been on my window repair project for a while now. I would suggest Abatron Liquidwood and Wood Epox.

For the exterior trim, some I repaired with Abatron, some I had replaced with Azek trim (back of house), and some with wood (front of house).

Here is a link that might be useful: Abatron

o

Good stuff, I have used it for my exterior wood shutters with very good results( over 5 years now and still holding up)

o

There are many threads and videos about wooden window repair in John Leeke's forums. You should also consider the elastomeric epoxy repair system from www.advancedrepair.com.

Here is a link that might be useful: John Leeke's Historic Homeworks

o

I have both products - Abatron and Advanced Repair's Flexible Wood Epoxy Repair System. I like them both, but I believe the Abatron is less expensive.

o

I'm working on a set of 6 round-topped double-hung windows right now (at work). They seem to be getting water coming from outside and inside (via condensation) so I'm removing the glass, making new check rails, dipping the weak areas in Abatron, and filling gaps with ART Gel Epoxy before reglazing, painting and reinstalling. The gel epoxy's only flaw is that you cannot really feather it out as you can the Abatron filler. It turned out that the painters 10 years ago had scraped the glass right down to the putty instead of leaving a small margin of paint onto the glass (as one must to ensure that rain is excluded). Hopefully this won't happen again.
Casey

o

John,

You are welcome.

When I tell people about your forum in person, I tell them it's the place with the eleven-page thread about putty, lest they think the coverage might be superficial. I have gotten some pretty astonished looks in reply.

o

OMG thank you. I have a bunch of repairs and windows to do and had gotten the Compendium book, I wasn't away there was a forum!

o

Just wanted to reiterate what others said about getting a GOOD product - Abatron was my choice. As opposed to one that sorta works but not really. I wasted a lot of time and money trying Minwax wood hardener and putty - it is next to useless for anything exterior - hardly made it through one winter. The good stuff is a bit extra cost, but you more than make up for it by saving time & expense not having to deal with it again.

o

Abatron does not appear to specify the filler used in the paste.

o

Abatron is so very lightweight I always assumed it was glass micro balloons.
Casey

o

I bought some glass micro balloons intending to mix them in paint until I saw some posts that the benefits might be over rated. Are they good filler?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here