Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What type of house is this?

Posted by gamecock43 (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 8, 08 at 18:56

http://s170.photobucket.com/albums/u270/tashacopi/?action=view¤t=boltonhouse.jpg

Can anyone help me identify this type of house? Built in or around 1900 (poor city records) in Georgia. It's for sale and though I was looking for a Victorian...this is in my price range.

Also...to have a little fun..can anyone suggest what they think would enhance the curb appeal of this house? I'm not in love with the outside...but cant figure out why.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What type of house is this?

I get an error message when I try to see the photo.

o

ok sorry...I will see if I can post an actual picture for you all.

o

from the one picture, I think it's probably a simple late Victorian, maybe built as a rental, that maybe has become a 2 family. It may be Edwardian or Colonial Revival inside.
The date of 1900 seems about right looking at the triple front windows and the doors to one side. The porch looks about the right proportions ( width and height), although I might have expected bigger columns, maybe round, or more fretwork at the top.

The front doors are the problem - too short compared to the windows, and with no casings! The front door should welcome you - these are blank duds. But that's pretty easy to change
especially if it is a 2 family and you change it back to a one family. Some nice wide mouldings with back bands and a door with a window and a good handle will help. Then stuff like flower boxes, perhaps a flower bed, a porch light, a rocker or two, will make your neighbors anxious to be invited to visit.

The usual suggestion is to live there a while and look around your neighborhood to see what was popular when your house was built before you make serious, and potentially expensive, changes.

o

Here is a link. Hopefully it works :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Bolton House

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here