Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19779803

old house blog

User
11 years ago

I need an old house blog like the MCM at retrorenovation. Does anyone know of one?

Comments (15)

• jlc102482
    11 years ago

This has been posted many times before, but:

http://www.ourvictorianhouse.com/

It's about as close as you'll get. The blog is no longer updated, as the writers no longer own the house, but it's still extremely useful and interesting.

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, I know that site well. What I'd like to find is a 1900 retrorenovation type blog.

Here is a link that might be useful: retrorenovation blog

• columbusguy1
    11 years ago

You may know this site already--but they have links to quite a few blog sites.

Here is a link that might be useful: Old House Web

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Not what I'm looking for, columbusguy1. retrorenovation has information on where to find period appropriate furnishings and building materials. Lots of pictures of what readers have done, new finds from all over, and just lots of stuff for the time period right after the period I'm looking for. Mid century modern is about 50 years too new for my house. And I lived throught the boomerang formica counters. Once was enough. Avacado green is banished from my house. Someone finds New Old Stock at least once a week and Pam posts it there. Lots of pictures. Lots of information. Every now and then a time capsule home is showcased. There needs to be a site like that for those of us who have really old houses. I suppose our only hope for old stuff is the salvage yard.

• VictoriaElizabeth
    11 years ago

I love retrorenovation. Whenever I read it, I want to sell our 1890 Victorian and buy a rancher with a pink bathroom.

We've been renovating our old house for three years now, and I have yet to find anything remotely like Pam's site for the turn-of-the-century crowd... maybe you need to start one!!

I blog our house renovation, and I have a short list of interesting old-house sites in my sidebar, nothing that approaches RR's... but maybe you'd find some of them interesting.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Victorian House Blog.

• SK97232
    11 years ago

I don't know exactly what you're looking for, but I often share research I've done for our 1912 Craftsman. I love to comb through the Craftsman magazine and other period books and I'll occasionally share pictures I've found.

Or if I know someone is looking for something specific, I'll also put together posts specifically for that topic.

~Sharon

Here is a link that might be useful: Laurelhurst Craftsman

• SK97232
    11 years ago

There is also 1912 bungalow, if you prefer your interiors to be white. Heather doesn't do much posting lately, but she still has a lot of good stuff at the blog relating to the earlier 1900s.

Here is a link that might be useful: 1912 Bungalow

• SK97232
    11 years ago

I don't know exactly what you're looking for, but I often share research I've done for our 1912 Craftsman. I love to comb through the Craftsman magazine and other period books and I'll occasionally share pictures I've found.

Or if I know someone is looking for something specific, I'll also put together posts specifically for that topic.

~Sharon

Here is a link that might be useful: Laurelhurst Craftsman

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

SK97232, I'm busy at the 1912 blog! and the Laurelhurst Craftsman blog. I've seen the Laurelhurst Craftsman before. Maybe at the old house forum.

VictoriaElizabeth, I've seen your blog.....where? from My Old House forum?? I'll never forget those colors! I kind of like that flamingo color. Maybe not in such a lavish amount! Maybe they were sight impared? Those colors might not have looked so bright to them.

My house celebrated its 100th birthday in 1980. With luck, I will be in it for its 150th. OK, now to try and find a Folk Victorian blog. The craftsman are nice but don't help me.

• SK97232
    11 years ago

If you're interested in Victorian specifically, you might enjoy the Petch House blog. This guy has done an amazing job restoring his 1895 Victorian in California.

Here is a link that might be useful: Petch House blog

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh, yeah! Another bazillion dollar restoration! I wish my house had SOMETHING cool. But it doesn't. I live through others.

• slateberry
    11 years ago

Petch wasn't a bazillion dollar restoration. It was a bazillion hours of grunt work though, and a clever, funny, patient guy who shared just about everything he learned along the way.

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

slateberry51, is there more than the linked page above? I couldn't find anything else.

• slateberry
    11 years ago

if you click on that link, look at the ads on the left side, and scroll down, below the ads is a sort of TOC by year and month. It took me forever to read all the posts, but it really educated me about what I wanted to do, how I wanted to do it, and what I wanted to hire out. Plus Greg's got great heart--I read it as much for the stories and attitude as the information. I thoroughly enjoyed it. But I think a good old house blog is like a pair of shoes--it's gotta fit you. Some blogs that I found riveting because I was in a similar situation, I now find a bit of a yawn. It just depends. He's also got links to some other good blogs. The old crack house by the mayor of Dayton is a lot of fun--although now that he's mayor he doesn't post very much, and I think he's more careful about what he writes. But the pre-office stuff is pretty amazing. He did his own plumbing, roofing, and even uses authentic plastering recipes and methods. Oh, and a lot of period wood finishing techniques. Cool stuff!

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Spent every minute reading those blogs.....but what happened to most of them? They got done and quit the blog? One posted that they moved. The Petch house must have taken a descent pile of money to restore.....and time....and it moved rather quickly. Yet he said his Mayor job was $50,000 a year. Keeping up two houses and a major remodel would stretch $50,000 to the breaking point. I wonder how they did it. Oh, and have a baby in the midst of all that. I guess if you're young you can manage all that!