Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wonky Bathroom Floor

Posted by justducky22 (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 4, 10 at 18:12

Just curious if anyone has any ideas...My bathroom upstairs looks like a fun house. The bathroom is at the back fo the house and the floor slopes to the back of the room (toward the back of the house) but levels off again. I was just wondering if this might have been done on purpose. I only ask because the floor tiles and grout do not have any cracks or gaps you would expect to see if something had shifted (they appear original to me). Also the doorway is tilted in the same direction with no gaps or cracks in the trim...looks like it has always been that way for some reason. I do think that the layout of the bathroom has been changed sometime in the past...it looks like there are small pipe holes in the tiles on the wall behind the toilet (at sink height). I checked the other room along the back of the house next to the bathroom and it does not seem to have the same thing going on. I just can't help but wonder what is with this floor? every time I am in there. Oh and before anyone asks...the foundation is fine. Any thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wonky Bathroom Floor

Settling, probably due to age and/or undersized framing. Even steel beams sag over the years. I knew someone who began investigating his sloping kitchen floor and the similarly sloped two floors above. Turns out his kitchen began life a hundred years earlier as a porch on short timber piles; it was enclosed and two floors added on top.

o
RE: Wonky Bathroom Floor

Worthy...I figured it was most likely settling but don't you think that there would be some evidence of that? Like some kind of gaps or cracking of grout or tiles? Maybe not, I don't know but thanks for the reply!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here