Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wallpaper Removal Question

Posted by oceangirlme (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 6, 08 at 17:46

We are fortunate that we only have one layer of wallpaper on our 1913 plaster walls. We are able to peel the paper off but a thin layer of paper remains directly glued to the plaster. Do I use the vinegar or fabric softener approach to get this remaining thin layer off the walls? Most of what I have read talks about multiple layers of wallpaper. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wallpaper Removal Question

DIF, vinegar and water, water and soap, steam, or any of the various concoctions will soften the glue and allow easy removal.

You need to wash the walls after to get all the glue off, repair any damaged areas, and if the plaster was not primed a coat now will make the next stripping job go easier.

o

Here is the best product to use,imo

Here is a link that might be useful: S&S

o

Thanks, all. The backing has been very easy to remove...so far. I am pleasantly surprised. I still need to go after the glue but at least it gives me a good idea of the condition of the walls.

I do have one more question. The corners of many of the walls have plaster that is missing in spots. Should I use some sort of caulk to go over these areas? Or should I use spackle? Thanks.

o

Hi,

I just went through the exact same thing except I had layers of painted wallpaper. The chemical wallpaper remover just does not work. I tried that first.

A squirt bottle full of 'hot as you can stand it water' rubber gloves to hold the very hot bottle and Downey plus
a nylon bristle scrub brush to scrub the walls as you squirt. And, lots of upper body strength.

Don't forget a bottle of wine and the music of your choice to keep you motivated through this very tedious process.

Beginning the process:

Wallpaper and glue residue:

o

In terms of the plaster sections, you should use joint compound and "mud" it in, sand, prime and paint. If you haven't done this before, find someone who has and see if they will teach you. It will be valuable information you'll use over and over again.

o

Use Easysand setting compound. By a longer setting time like Easysand90 if you are inexperienced.

It is closer than premix mud and will not introduce as much moisture into the wall.

As you learn how to patch the repairs you can switch to Durabond.
It is as hard as the original plaster, and very hard to sand.
It must be applied and smoothed correctly.
This takes practice.

Easysand was introduced because of the difficulty of sanding Durabond.

Lightly mist the base coat of plaster to improve adhesion of the patch if you use Easysand or Durabond.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here