Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What architectural style is this house?

Posted by social2 (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 22, 08 at 17:24

Hi,

Can anyone tell me the architectural style of this house?

Thanks in advance

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb18/social2_photos/House Image/IMG_1059.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What architectural style is this house?

Realize that I'm coming from a position of near-total ignorance, but it looks Gothic Revival to me. With some Mission/Arts & Crafts touches. The pitch of the roof says "Gothic Revivial" and the porch columns and arch say "A&C."

But I know nothing.

o

I don't know anything either .... but I though Arts and Crafts right away : )
...so much for any expertise responses

o

The year that the house was built would be helpful, but remember that Arts and Crafts when it started was actually just a facet of Victorian architecture. Often in Victorian architecture, there's a wide range and buildings often fall into more than one category. So, I would agree with vjrnts in saying that this house has arts and crafts influcences(porch and all that stucco) and the pitch of the roof is gothic revival. I'd guess it was built in the 1910-1920's and to simplify, I'd just call it Victorian, but if you really like arts and crafts, you can definetly run with that!

All said, I'm just shooting from the hip too and could easily be wrong. Good luck!

o

Thanks for the help in identifying the style. It was built in 1896.

o

Wow! I was way off- I think stucco is unusual during that time (it was very popular during the arts and crafts time). But, I'll link a great site that can help categorize your Victorian. According to this site, you'd be "Folk Victorian."

Here is a link that might be useful: Victorian House

o

To link a URL just put it in the box provided and give it a name.

I agree about the style but I suspect it was originally Folk Victorian and got a face lift and a new porch when the Arts & Crafts style became popular.

Here is a link that might be useful: like this

o

Thanks, here is a link to a photograph of the house.

Here is a link that might be useful: 1896 Home Photo

o

I think it may be heavily modified from what it looked like in 1896. Like the details of the porch and the wall finish (stucco). The remodeling would date to the teens or twenties.
It's a cross-gable, story-and-a-half Queen Anne cottage hiding under there.
Casety

o

What anvil and mongrel said. I thought the four-square style house next door meant this house had to be older than typical U.S. Arts & Crafts homes, so the 1896 makes sense. The stucco and porch were added likely in 1915-1925 (depending on your city and when A&C got big there, it could have been earlier or later).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here