Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
turtlelearner

What is triggering my garage door to open on its own?

turtlelearner
9 years ago

It was 0630am and I was sleeping. As far as I know, the furnace blower is one of the only electrical things going on that time of day. The furnace blower is on a different circuit, but sits right next to the garage door opener circuit in the breaker box. Is is possible the blower triggered the garage door opener? If so, do you suggested I replace the garage door circuit in the breaker box along with the two circuits adjacent to it?

BACKGROUND: This opener opens the garage door when ever it chooses. This garage door opens on its own ever time I close it but the interval is not consistent. After I close it by pushing the button on the wall, it opens any time from 5 minutes to 9 hours later and the remote never leaves the car. This is what recently changed: I replaced a bad capacitor. Now is closes and opens when I use the wall button or the remote, but it has a mind of its own. These are some of the other things that were going on when the garage door decided to open on its own.
1) I would put my finger near the wall button an it opened (almost like the static electricity triggered it)
2) I put a screw driver on one of the screws that is connected to the remote receiver on the unit.
3) I turned on a grinder that was in the garage, but on a different circuit

Comments (7)