Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pinch_me

time period?

pinch_me
14 years ago

Where do the bulls eye wood corner things like the Target sign fit in? Late 30's?

Comments (10)

• rosemaryt
    14 years ago

No, they're more from the late 1800s or very early 1900s. They're called "Bull's Eye Molding."

Rose
    author, The Houses That Sears Built

• worthy
    14 years ago

Corner blocks were used at least from the late 18th Century.

After Canadians burned down the White House, it was rebuilt in 1815 using corner blocks.

White House: Green Room Photo: Mathew Brady

Here is a link that might be useful: Corner block history

• kframe19
    14 years ago

Mom's house was built in 1903, Queen Anne style (rather plain).

It has bullseye corner blocks throughout.

• pinch_me
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I suppose styles didn't change as quickly a hundred years ago. And I suppose it took longer for everything to get from the coasts to us near the Mississippi. It still takes two years for east and west coast things to get here.

• sombreuil_mongrel
    14 years ago

The earliest bullseyes I know of are from the Greek Revival period (1830's). They were simple, stepped, not curvy. They actually went out of style before reviving in the 1880's. Then they really went wild with innovation, with pressed-carved inserts, all profiles (to match the profile of the stick-trims) available by mail-order.
    Casey

• pinch_me
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The house I used to own had a few remaining before I took that wall out. I kept them and wanted to use them in the remodel of the house I have now. That house was 1938 from what information I had at the time. This house is 1880 but it's been updated several times. There isn't any original woodwork left. I don't have enough for every door and window but I do think I've seen the reproductions and I do intend to look again.

• worthy
    14 years ago

As a practical matter, I prefer mitred styles.

I've used corner blocks. And even when gluing the blocks, over a couple of years they tend to pull away from the casings and leave a line that has to be filled with caulking. If the trim is painted or stained dark, the shrinkage isn't as noticeable.

• sombreuil_mongrel
    14 years ago

Worthy, biscuit them!
    A 90 degree joint is always more stable than a miter. The wider the casing, the worse this effect manifests itself, as the boards seasonally shrink/swell in width, the miter angle is varied off of 45*. The miter joint is tight on the day it's installed (hopefully!), and it's all down hill from there. That's why there are so many gadgets invented to assist in holding them together (kerf dovetails, chevron tacks, corrugated fasteners!)
    Casey

• jonnyp
    14 years ago

Those bulls eyes are called rossetes are readily available at
    HD and the better stocked lumber yards.The molding is belly band and at the base plinth blocks, which are slight wider and thicker.These pieces come in various widths.My house was built in the 50's using ranch casings. The difference in appearance is amazing. Get yourself a finish nailer, some shim stock a good quality blade for your mitre saw and take your time

• worthy
    14 years ago

Worthy, biscuit them!

Interesting idea. I haven't used rosettes for 20 years. But I think the trim carpenters will charge a lot more than for mitres. And buyers won't care.