Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chicken1020_gw

style/age of this house???

chicken1020
13 years ago

Hi my husband and I bought a farmhouse close to a year ago and have been restoring it since then. The paperwork from the sale lists it as having been built in 1900. I think this may have been a guess on someones part. The original part of the house is constructed of 2ft thick stacked stone which continues the full 3 stories up. It is clad in aluminum siding and stucco. 20ft from the rear of the house is a 2 story building that is currently being used as a workshop/poolhouse. When they re-sided the building they trimmed around the windows so that they original woodwork was left intact. My question is does the woodwork look like it belongs to any specific style or time period. I've been to busy with the construction that I haven't had time to dig thru public records. Any info would be greatly appreciated! Aileen

http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff474/boomta2/DSC_2132.jpg

http://s1237.photobucket.com/home/boomta2/recentuploads

Comments (18)

• sombreuil_mongrel
    13 years ago

Not much to go by.
    There is no reason a solid stone house could not have been built in 1900. The symmetry, bay structure, and classical wrap-around porch were all popular forms at the turn of the previous century. The aluminum is probably from the 1950-1970 era. :-)
    The arched window on the separate outbuilding is possibly an earlier detail, but who knows? More and better pictures may help, esp.interior details, staircase, hardware, moldings.
    Casey

• chicken1020
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here are a few more photos. Thanks.

http://s1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff474/boomta2

• columbusguy1
    13 years ago

If you have city water, check the town records to see when it was turned on....
    The majority of your interior woodwork looks like it could be anywhere from 1880 to 1900--corner blocks were a late 19th century idea...the panelled stairs makes me think 80s.
    I don't envy you stripping off all that colonial revival paint from your woodwork! I hope the panelling in the parlor is going? :)

• chicken1020
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hey, no we have well water. I'm sure someone in the town office knows something about the property. It's a small town! Luckily enough one of the po's must have stripped all of the woodwork only for someone else to repaint it. There is only 1 layer of paint on it. I have been desperately trying to convince my husband that the panelling has to go. He says "it might be original..its old barn wood..look at the cool nails" I say its ugly! We'll see, he has been letting me guide the interior rehab so hopefully he'll see the light. :)

• artemis78
    13 years ago

Depending on where you live, many towns first started keeping records around the turn of the century---the town I grew up in started around then, and listed all houses that already existed at that time as being built in 1900, regardless of age. So it could just be a placeholder date---you might be able to dig into the property ownership records to get a better sense of it, though, if you're up for some history!

• chicken1020
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hopefully I will be able to find something in the records but I haven't found time what with the remodel and twin 3 year olds I've barely found time to shower! lol Maybe after the holidays I'll be able to get in there.

• columbusguy1
    13 years ago

Check the town/county auditor for the property records--here in Columbus Ohio you can do it online by inserting your address. My garage is listed as 1920--but so is every other one in the area, and I'm sure it was built at the same time as the house--1908.
    I am 99% sure that panelling isn't original--it just screams 50s or a bit later--and in a parlor--never! You can easily take off one piece but I guarantee there's original plaster back there.
    Glad to hear it's only one layer of paint--I bet they are the ones who did the panelling too. My neighbor's house is as old as mine, and she bought it from the original owners--the wife hated traditional, so she demanded all the woodwork be painted in colonial colors, and the floor covered with maple parquet squares--and the stair banister was replaced with a metal one like you see on cheap porches!
    My house had five owners between me and the original, but no one stayed more than five years or so, and didn't bother to change anything except the kitchen.

• User
    13 years ago

Cool house. Hope you have a wonderful Christmas with those girls. The staircase will lend itself to lovely decorations. And yes that paneling is horrid LOL ! c

Here is a link that might be useful: here is the link

• chicken1020
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Columbusguy, I'll see if I can find any online record. I agree with you on the panelling it definately feels like to po was into colonial and tried to make it feel "rustic".
    Trailrunner, thanks and yes I can't wait to decorate for Christmas. I've also been trying to think of ways to "accidently" destroy the panelling. lol

• kindred_ny
    13 years ago

I'll bet a prybar will "accidentally do a good bit of damage. "OOPS!" :-)

• macv
    13 years ago

I would say is a Colonial Revival that has lost a lot of it's exterior detailing to a siding salesman.

• chicken1020
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Really I didn't think porches were a normal feature for col. Revival. I thought the staircase and stained glass said Victorian.

• macv
    13 years ago

Full width front porches were commonly found on hip-roofed Colonial Revival homes but this style used all roof shapes. Often there were open porches called "piazzas" that were sometimes later covered or enclosed.

The front door usually tells more about a house than any other single feature. The arched pediment over one of the windows is a dead giveaway if it was part of the original house.

Here is a link that might be useful: examples

• chicken1020
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Macv, do you mean the pediment in the porch roof or the arched window in the photo labeled pool house. Also, the porch wraps around the side of the house. As for the front door it has stained glass sidelights but no transom. Is that still indicative of colonial revival? I feel like its got a bit of a mixed bag of style! Thanks for your help. We'll be tackling the exterior next year and I'd like the paint color and porch railings to be on point.

• macv
    13 years ago

I referring the first photo contained in the first URL of your original post. It had no label or title so I assumed it was your house. If it was a photo of another building then you should disregard my comments entirely.

• chicken1020
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ok, the picture in the first URL is of a separate pool house/workshop located about 20 ft from the rear of the house. Here is the rest of the house...

Here is a link that might be useful: main house

• kindred_ny
    13 years ago

What a great place! And you have pocket doors! I just LOVE pocket doors!You have a lovely home!

• chicken1020
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you! I love the pocket doors too, it was part of what sold me in the first few minutes of entering the house.