Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
horrible smell in the house (please help!)

Posted by bluedusky (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 25, 09 at 16:42

I bought a 1985 townhouse this year. It had popcorn ceiling, so I contracted someone to remove it for me. He did a great job, but a very weird smell stayed. The contractor said he bought a bad batch of plaster from Home Depot. It smells like cheese/paint/vomit (different smell for different people). I think the smell from the old owners didn't help either. The contractor came and Fabreezed the house, but that lasted one day. He returned and sprayed the ceiling with bleach. That helped some, but the smell is still here. My nose is used to it, but my relatives have pointed it out that the smell is still here. I already bought furniture and don't want to have my house bleached again. It's so embarrassing! It's been two months, and I still haven't had any visitors. I also tried leaving coal throughout the house, baking soda, and Glade plug-ins. Still the same... I don't know what else to do. Please help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: horrible smell in the house (please help!)

Google is your friend. (I wonder if the poster "kat" is one who I think used to post at GW.)

You've got your work set out for you!

o

"The contractor said he bought a bad batch of plaster from Home Depot."

Once a pail of drywall mud gets mildew in it is is ruined.

He should never have used the pail, and it likely smelled from the moment it was opened (if he could not see anything).

While you can try and seal the smell in (shellac sealers work well) it may actually be easier to remove the ceiling and put up all new drywall.

o

This could be some kind of rot in the timbers of the house.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here