Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Old handles/pulls, pic & questions

Posted by ks_toolgirl (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 4, 11 at 15:50

Hi, all. While looking in a box for coat hooks, (yes, CG, I'm looking lol), I found a gallon ziplock bag full of these...

Pic is of 1 of each, side-by-side. "Art-deco" of a sort?

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Would these have been in kitchen, cupboard doors perhaps? Drawer pulls?

The thumb-latch ones are throwing me off... Kitchen cabinets with latches?

What time period would these have been used? My kitchen is too modern for them - but I'd like to use them somewhere... I think they'll clean up & look really nice. Any thoughts? I'm posting this here, instead of other forums, because I'm hoping old-house people will know more about the style & time-frame. (And maybe be using these, yourself?).
:-)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
Sorry - I searched again, and...

I found pulls similar to one set, on eBay. I guess I was too specific in my previous search - used the name "Lloyd" that's on one of them.

They're described as from 50's, alas... Not my style, time-wise, but I might replace the pulls on 40's chest of drawers & dressers with them, (some missing, some just ugly lol).

Sorry to waste anyone's time with it - however, the latching ones do still have me curious.

o
RE: Old handles/pulls, pic & questions

KS, you are NOT wasting time. :) I was going to say anywhere from 40s to 60s because they are fairly similar to ones in our ranch kitchen built in '58. They were still there when we sold the place in '87--cabinets were a thin wood door with thicker frames done in a honey finish.

My current cabinets are fitted with two-piece latches, one has a porcelain knob which slides to one side, releasing the latch from a 'keeper' on the frame. Was lucky to find a set of six matching ones when I built the frames using the original kitchen doors!

o
RE: Old handles/pulls, pic & questions

Those are wonderful. The simple arch pull on the left could be as late as...well, you can still buy them. I have them in my '56 house. But I think they can also be much older.

The two on the right are kind of art decoish machine agey aren't they? I have some silverware that would be perfect with them. :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here