Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
juno2008

California Cooler

juno2008
10 years ago

We are starting a kitchen redesign right now on our NorCal bungalow, and the custom cabinet guy is coming to do some measuring on Monday. I have my heart set on adding a California cooler in a corner section of cabinets. I've found little guidance online for adding one into a contemporary re-do. Linda Powell's bungalow books have a quick note or two on old ones. So I have a few questions.

Venting. In the bungalow books, there's one that's vented to the basement and up through the attic. Lots of the old bungalows around here have the exterior venting for their coolers still visible, and all of them have two vents on the side of the house (don't know if they also vent to the basement). My husband is nixing cutting any holes in the roof, so I'll have to vent out the side for the upper vent no matter what. We can either vent near the floor to the outside for the bottom vent or vent directly to our full, unfinished basement. I think a pro of venting to the basement is that the air will be pretty consistently cool (not warm or freezing) year round. Perfect for wine and root storage and better as far as temp. differential with the rest of the kitchen. I'm worried about creating a fire chimney though. Do you think this would ever get past the building code? I'm not very familiar with those requirements. Could we mitigate with some sort of insulation or fireproofing?

Insulation. I'm guessing the cabinet guy might have some ideas, but does anyone know how we might go about insulating to avoid losing our heat out of this cabinet? We dont' have AC, so it should only be an issue half the year.

Any other resources I can check out about how to have one of these things maybe with a few updates for energy efficiency and fire safety? I have some similar questions about a laundry chute I'd like to add for our basement laundry, but I'm guessing there are some modern pre-fab units out there for chutes. Any info for those would also be much appreciated.

Comments (6)