Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
annie_h_gw

Removing Nails From Linoleum Containing Asbestos

Annie_H
11 years ago

I have some flooring in my basement that presumably contains asbestos, that was likely installed when the house was built in 1939. There's a small section about 5' x 3' from which we need to remove shelving that was nailed into the tile. The tile itself looks like old red and blue slate pieces cut like angled brick. It's very thin, and not square pieces or sheets, fitting together like a garden path. Very pretty. It feels like stone, but I guess old-school lino has a similar heft.

Some of the pieces have broken because the previous owner nailed wood shelving and some studs directly into the tile. I see a black underlay between the bottom of the tile and the concrete where a tile came up.

Do you think I can safely remove these nails just by keeping the floor wet? I won't be sanding, but there may be some breakage. Also, it should be noted that I only think it has asbestos because that's what the home inspector said when he saw the tiles poking out from under the vinyl stick-on tile which covers most of the floor.

Thank you so much for your help!

Comments (3)