Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mscraftsman

Pink bathroom--what to do

MsCraftsman
9 years ago

As the photo shows somewhat, I have a pink bathroom dilemma. I'd bet this is original from my 1936 house, as many things are. The salmon pinkish wall tile is mostly in good condition, although there are a few cracks and blemishes. The original owner had a liner tile with a much more pinkish-nearly lavender flower on black. So already this clashes, to my more modern sensibilities.

Then the floor has tiny tiles, all of them of the salmon pink to sand-colored to outright orange. At the edges some of these are coming loose, and a few small tiles are even missing around the edges. Also there is a long crack across tiles, so floor underneath could be damaged, although it doesn't feel spongy.

I'm afraid some or all of this won't be appealing enough to a buyer when I decide to sell. The rest of the house has some very good-looking vintage built-in bookcases, hardwood floors, great wood doors, even a wood kitchen counter. I've left all of this intact. But the bathroom (the only one on the main floor, and the de facto master bath for me at least) is getting to me.

If I were to replace just the floor, what about a white marble, or porcelain to imitate white marble? Or will the wall tile still kill a deal even if I replace the floor?

Comments (19)

• nickel_kg
    9 years ago

Oh wow, I love it! My grandparent's 1940 cape cod had a very similar style, but using a bright buttery yellow where you have that nice salmon/pink. Perhaps look up the 'retro renovation' site, or google "save the pink bathrooms" for more examples & opinions.

I don't see the liner tile that clashes -- do you have a better picture of that?

If the floor isn't able to be repaired, I'd try to replace it with another small tile. Something like mosaic hex tiles in white and black. I think those go better with the wall tile than a large format tile would. Good luck!

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

Your bathroom is fabulous. Keep as much of the original fabric as possible.

• jmc01
    9 years ago

There have been pink bathroom threads on this forum in the last few years. Please check them out, using the search at the bottom of this page.

You have an absolute treasure with your bathroom! Please keep it! Remeber, it's functioned since 1936!

• nickel_kg
    9 years ago

although in fairness, not all pink bathrooms are created equally. I know of one from the mid-50's that is baby pink with baby blue border and undistinguished floor ... good enough quality, but overall effect totally different (not in a good way) than the original poster's.

• chucksmom
    9 years ago

I think that bathroom is wonderful! I know the floor is a sore point with you, that crack does stick out like a sore thumb. I doubt after all these years it's a structural problem, the house just settled somewhere along the line (would you like to see the lines on my face as I age LOL). j
    I'd try something strange (I've been known for that). I'd clean out the crack lines with a wire brush or pick. Smooth in a little paintable caulk and go to town with some acrylic paint. Deep pink and white and you can blend it in so no one will notice.
    Years ago, they used to sell Liquid Paper in different colors to match accounting journals. I have an old bottle of mint green that I used to cover a spot in my SHOWER and 20+ years later-still good! Nail polish is also a great solution, with all the different colors available now-a little deep pink and white to make a light pink.....etc.
    Once the crack stops screaming at you, you'll feel better!

• lee676
    9 years ago

Replacing the pedestal sink with a nice wall-mounted sink (wider, but shallow front-to-back) would really open up the room. I'm fine with the pink tiles.

• party_music50
    9 years ago

wow... lots of people are going to love that bathroom! If it were mine and the floor bugged me that much, I might try just covering it with a good sheet vinyl that's only tacked at the edges or a floating tongue-n-groove type covering. A future owner could uncover the original floor easily. Would that work for you?

• _sophiewheeler
    9 years ago

Get over your ''modern sensibilities''. Lot's of appeal in that. Not so much appeal in modern generica white marble blah blah blah.

• Fori
    9 years ago

I love pink bathrooms as much as the next guy but I could see replacing the floor with the cracks and missing tiles. Not with marble or faux marble though--I'd find a more authentic tile that looked like it belonged with the wall tile.

Check out some old sink ads and photos of old bathrooms and see if there's a floor that works.

Fix the floor and that bath should appeal to most buyers, at least the sort of buyers you'd want in your house...A nice pink bathroom is cool. One with cracks full of (imaginary I'm sure) old urine on the floor isn't.

• chucksmom
    9 years ago

retrorenovation.com and savethepinkbathroom.com. Lots of resources for that floor replacement.

• worthy
    9 years ago

Sorry, pink washrooms make me nauseous.

Earlier this year, in a fit of energy, I demolished our pink powder room: pink wallpaper, pink floor tiles, pink counters, highlighted with garish fake gold fittings and Vegas mirrored lighting. All in the dumpster.

You never know what the new owners will want. But those cracked floor tiles will stick out in their mind when they make an offer. Remove or cover them. Otherwise, go easy on the old girl.

This post was edited by worthy on Sun, Nov 23, 14 at 11:01

• MsCraftsman
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the many opinions and links, all of which will be helpful to us in deciding what to do. I'm uploading the photo showing the wall tile with the liner tile (sorry I can't rotate it right where I am now, away from my ordinary devices, but you can see colors).

• emmarene9
    9 years ago

I would replace the floor. Keep everything else.

• Fori
    9 years ago

Well, it's got character! Definitely dates from that period when things weren't quite so matchy matchy.

I've seen salmon and lavender together in ways that look good; there was usually mint green involved. I think your best bet would be to pretend it's a plain black liner. Don't be tempted to put in a lavender floor! :P

• Debbie Downer
    9 years ago

Re:your statement " I'm afraid some or all of this won't be appealing enough to a buyer when I decide to sell."

For the life of me, I just can't figure out why SO MANY people on this forum spend so much time.... and no small sum of money.... trying to anticipate what some unknown person in the future MIGHT think. If Mrs. Worthy (above) shows up at your house then you can make a deal with her and knock some $$$ off, but why worry about that now? If you do it right, this bathroom could actually be an attraction for vintage house lovers, an asset and not a liability.

Actually, one recent thread you should read in this forum - a woman whose seller got rid of the pink bathroom, because of advice of her realtor, and now she (the buyer) is trying to get it back and repair the damage to the tub that was done! Nowadays, there are enough people who appreciate authentic vintage baths/kitchens that you may actually have a larger pool of possible buyers by keeping it authentic.

The answer may be to not mute down the vintage-ness of it, but just take it up a notch! Go bold! The bathroom is one place you can really be creative. Google vintage bathrooms - as above poster indicated, the color combinations back then weren't what they are now and perhaps the original wall color did pick up the lavender pink flower color in those tile strips? Is there anywhere you can do a little peeling of paint to see what the original wall color was? You could also post on the decorating forum for specific color suggestions.... and on the "save the pink bathroom" website.

Start with getting rid of the ratty rug and curtains, think about some other more jazzy shelving unit, perhaps something custom that fits about and think hard about some

Those chipped wall tiles can be easily repaired with epoxy fill and careful touching up, assuming there's not a whole lot andyou have an artist's eye for color.

Re: the floor - Im not entirely sure that's original (walls definitely are) There's something kinda 50s-60s about it and Im not sure whats going on in the pic between the black tile trim and the tile floor - what is that white strip? If its to be replaced - go with a hexagon tile (black & white is classic) or something distinctly 30s that relates to the wall tile.

You said much of the house is original - can we see? Would LOVE to see more pics. You're lucky! A lot of us have houses that were futzed with, and not in a good way!

• lavender_lass
    9 years ago

I'm ducking as I write this (LOL) but I'd tape off all the black and spray those pink wall tiles a bright white! Then, I'd replace the floors with a hex tile in marble...maybe with black marble accent pieces.

I like the pedestal sink, but I'm guessing you need more storage. Maybe rehab a neat old dresser and make it into a vanity? I'd also see if there's any way to add a radiator cover to give you an extra shelf/storage for a few pretty toiletries. Just a few ideas :)

Is it safe to stand up, yet??? Would you all really want a salmon/pink/orange bathroom with a crack in the floor? I know I would not and the black and white will keep the charm but make it MUCH easier to live with...and decorate!

• nickel_kg
    9 years ago

LOL, lavendar lass, you're entitled to your opinion too! I like the salmon/pink when it's surrounded by the black border. Yes, the crack in the floor needs addressing.

I confess I really don't dig those roses. If I were living there, I'd get either black paint or black electric tape, anything to cover them. However, if I were renting and/or selling, I think I'd let them alone since they are in good shape.

• Debbie Downer
    9 years ago

Actually.... are we 100% sure that floor is original.....? Kinda has an early 60s look to it, and look at that odd white trim or whatever it is between the black wall tile and the floor, near the toilet. If floor was original the black tile would have come right down to the floor. Sometimes they just tiled over the orignal tile floor since it would have been a beast to remove. Agree that the big crack is a problem, but if the floor isn't even original that would certainly give the OP dispensation from old house gods to go ahead and replace it, no questions asked! LOL