Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Staining Abatron WoodEpox

Posted by graywings (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 7, 12 at 13:15

Does anyone have any experience/photos to share on how Abatron WoodEpox looks when it is stained?

I want to make repairs to a very worn front doorsill. I have had wonderful experience with painting over WoodEpox, but I have never used it with stain.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Staining Abatron WoodEpox

Hi,
I have been using Abatron's system steadily since 1986.
Now, I'm no expert, but I have had the best success coloring the itself rather than trying to stain it to match after curing. I used powdered wood dye for this purpose, as it does not thin the product or impede the curing.
Casey

o

So you mix the Part A and Part B together and then add the powdered wood dye with no additional solvent? Does the color stay the same before and after curing? What brand or brands have you used?

o

I always treat it as a little decorative project.

Make sure it is lighter than needed and use permanent markers, paint, etc. then put a clear finish over the detailing to protect it longer term.

It will NOT be the same color as any wood finish, but require careful work to get it even similar.

'Stainable' means it takes stain.

It does not mean it takes stain like wood (or any pother material) and matches without a lot of work.

o

You must experiment with test batches to get the color match before you do the actual repair. Powdered aniline dye intended to be dissolved in alcohol is what I have used.
Casey

o

"Powdered aniline dye intended to be dissolved in alcohol is what I have used. "

And go lighter so you can go back and add the darker grain detailing afterwards.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here