Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Source for old steam radiators in NJ

Posted by rexem (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 12, 08 at 13:02

Anyone know where we could get a replacement steam radiator for not a lot of money - something that will look right in our 1880s Victorian. I would think they are being ripped out of a lot of old houses and have tried Craig's list but was wondering if anyone has any other ideas for us. We are in Northern NJ.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Source for old steam radiators in NJ

Junk yards always seem to have them. Have you tried there?

You say you "have tried CL" do you mean browsing in the 'for sale' or 'free' section or did you post that you are looking for one to buy. Someone may have one laying around and wishing someone could haul it away. They are really heavy and cumbersome. Or someone may be planning a remodel and will jump at the chance to have you come and get theirs. Posting in the 'wanted' section may bring results.

I know nothing about the NJ area but if there are neighborhoods that are undergoing rehab, you may be able to slueth one out by talking to workmen at jobsites.

o

Architectural salvage places should have them. The one I go to in Baltimore sells them rather cheaply - the plain ones are $6 a fin and the decorative $12. I think they are called fins???

o

Thanks for these ideas!

o

i just removed one due to kitchen remodeling. it's a beauty! our house was built in 1819 so it would be close to what you are looking for. it is one of the shorter ones but quite long...15 sections. i will provide exact dimensions upon request. it is quite ornate with decorative scrollings. works great too! no leaks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here