Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Name for type of fireplace?

Posted by elissamay (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 2, 08 at 12:59

Just bought a 1919 colonial, and wondering if this fireplace has a specific name for its style? I'm trying to determine if the rectangular area above the firebox was originally used for something, or if it's just a part of the design.

Here is a link that might be useful: click for fireplace photo

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Name for type of fireplace?

My guess is just a design. Most all the houses I have lived in have had fireplaces, and none of them, even in this 1820s house (where cooking was done in the fireplaces) had any contraptions over the firebox.

o

I think it is just part of the design. You might use it to display an art tile, or a motto.

o

Structurally there is no space for a box at that point in the firebox, the smoke shelf, or the flue which are directly behind that indentation.
It is part of the design - a bit of playing with the brick in an Arts and Crafts 'celebrate the material' kind of way. It could have had art tile in it, or perhaps something like a copper bas-relief sculptural panel.
Look for 'Bungalow', 'Prairie' or 'Mission' fireplaces as well as 'Arts and Crafts' for comparisons.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here