Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Original unfinished wood floor in bathroom - how do I protect it?

Posted by jlc102482 (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 7, 12 at 12:50

We finally got around to pulling up the old lino in our upstairs bathroom in preparation to install new tile. We uncovered the original wood floor under the lino which was a happy surprise, since the entire house got new wood floors around 1920 and the original floors were totally removed from the downstairs in the process.

The original wood floor is so beautiful that we have decided to keep it instead of installing tile over it. It's in good shape and is still in 1857 condition; that is, it's bare with no trace of varnish, stain or shellac. I am unsure of the wood species. Since it's from 1857 I'm sure it's a soft wood, but it was very resilient when I pressed my fingernail into it so I believe it's old growth.

I am not sure what to use to seal/finish it with. It's in a bathroom with a shower, so it's going to get a little wet from time to time (though nothing too bad.) I would like it to look as original as possible - no shiny finishes - so I think that leaves poly out. I'm okay with applying a stain of a similar shade if that would serve a purpose other than simply adding color. What are my options?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Original unfinished wood floor in bathroom - how do I protect

I just posted a question about using shellac in a bathroom (original finish), so it will be interesting to see what advice you are given. I picked up a high solids floor finish from the local janitorial supply place today that I may try out on top of the shellac to keep the water from damaging the finish.

We love the wood look but want to protect it at the same time.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here