Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Showing Off Paint Stripping Efforts

Posted by SK97232 (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 21, 12 at 12:40

I'm pretty excited that after a month or so of hard work, my entryway is stripped. I stripped the paint from this woodwork in place because the wood was so nice, I didn't want to risk breaking any of it.

I started with a heat gun to take off the bulk of the paint, then I came back for a second pass with KleanStrip. Then I finished with some sanding. Overall, I'm pleased with the results!

~Sharon

Here is a link that might be useful: Laurelhurst Craftsman

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Showing Off Paint Stripping Efforts

Here is the before picture.

o

Pleased???? You should be thrilled! It looks so gorgeous.
I can't say enough, it's wonderful!

o

What a wonderful transformation!!

o

wow!

o

Pleased? How about ecstatic! I've stripped my share of paint and I know: You worked your tail off to accomplish this feat!

Also, thanks for sharing it with us. Such postings are very inspiring!

o

Great work! I am very very envious of that staircase ... but not of all the work you had to do to get it looking so wonderful. You are an inspiration!

o

I will tell you right now, I wouldn't have started that project for a million bucks! I'm glad YOU did but if I lived there it would have stayed painted! I know a life long project when I see it.

On the other hand, I think strippers are different/better now than they were 20 years ago. But that doesn't make me want to do a project like yours!

o

Oh my gosh. Super. You should be proud.

o

That. is. amazing. Amazing! I bow to you, o god/goddess of the heat gun. We stripped our entire bungalow but our trim wasn't nearly as detailed and the stairs not so intricate. Well done, very well done. Just gorgeous!

o

Proper
:)
Casey

o

You accomplished that by yourself in just a month?! wow. Great job and what a difference in appearance!

o

I stripped the stair railing and the two windows in the stairway in about a month of effort. I actually started in September, but I goofed off for several weeks doing other projects. But it was around a month of effort stripping, staining and shellacking.

The doors were all done professionally off-site, because they were easy to remove. The rest of the woodwork was done in place.

~Sharon

o

OMG.
Absolutely beautiful. What a fantastic entry you have now!
Amazing.

o

Beautiful!

We are in the process of stripping the woodwork in our house (leaving it in place as well), and your pictures are truly impressive.

We have stripped all of the woodwork on the first floor, except for the staircase. We are putting that off in part because we are trying to come up with a good plan for the ballisters. (They are square cross-section and fairly close together, which looks similar to your situation.) Any tips?

o

embeth,

It was a challenge to strip between the ballisters. We started with a heat gun and a 6-in-1 tool and that got off most of the paint. Then I did what I easily could with the chemical strippers.

The most challenge, if course, was the sanding. I actually ended up using a multi-tool with sanding heads, and sanding tips on a dremel tool. It worked well enough for this project and it didn't have to be perfectly smooth since few will ever run their fingers along the surface.

For small spots of white paint I couldn't get to, in the bottom crevices, I touched up with paint tinted to match the stain. They were very small spots and weren't noticeable once I shellacked over everything.

I did blog about it at the below blog address.

Best of Luck,
Sharon

Here is a link that might be useful: Paint Stripping Project blog entries

o

Beautiful!

I sure hope you took all the safety precautions needed when removing lead paint.

o

The change is just magnificent! From dull white to beautiful, glowing wood. So worth it!

I did ours and it took me about 3 months for each room to strip the paint and wallpapers, patch, sand, restain and repaint. I never thought about how long it was going to take, just about how beautiful it was going to be.

Your house is smiling!
Diane

o

Its wonderful! I've followed your blog as we've been renovating our brick bungalow for ten years and I should've done a blog but never did! We've also just completed an entry room (the study) complete with salvaged colonnades, and adding all the warm wood just looks wonderful.

o

Holy cow, that is just magnificent! You did a fantastic job!

--Lee

o

Unbelievably beautiful! Girl, you got some kind of energy! Love your blog.

o

Wow!! Amazing. Maybe I'll find the courage to do our stairs ;)

o

I came to the forum to ask questions about my own stripping project, and came across your before and after. The after LITERALLY brought tears to my eyes! I have the curse of the white paint in my home, too, and your photos have given me renewed inspiration to keep going! Beautiful job!!!!!

o

And OMG!!!! I just browsed through your blog. WOW!!!!! How did you have the stamina to complete all of that????? You are my hero.

o

Pat yourself on the back.. Bravo!

o

Stunning!

o

Stunning!

o

Extremely favorable results. My limited sanity wouldn't permit all that.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here