Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sk97232

Showing Off Paint Stripping Efforts

SK97232
11 years ago

I'm pretty excited that after a month or so of hard work, my entryway is stripped. I stripped the paint from this woodwork in place because the wood was so nice, I didn't want to risk breaking any of it.

I started with a heat gun to take off the bulk of the paint, then I came back for a second pass with KleanStrip. Then I finished with some sanding. Overall, I'm pleased with the results!

~Sharon

Here is a link that might be useful: Laurelhurst Craftsman

Comments (27)

• SK97232
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is the before picture.

• chucksmom
    11 years ago

Pleased???? You should be thrilled! It looks so gorgeous.
    I can't say enough, it's wonderful!

• dekeoboe
    11 years ago

What a wonderful transformation!!

• Clarion
    11 years ago

Pleased? How about ecstatic! I've stripped my share of paint and I know: You worked your tail off to accomplish this feat!

Also, thanks for sharing it with us. Such postings are very inspiring!

• chibimimi
    11 years ago

Great work! I am very very envious of that staircase ... but not of all the work you had to do to get it looking so wonderful. You are an inspiration!

• Imhappy&Iknowit IOWA zone 4b
    11 years ago

I will tell you right now, I wouldn't have started that project for a million bucks! I'm glad YOU did but if I lived there it would have stayed painted! I know a life long project when I see it.

On the other hand, I think strippers are different/better now than they were 20 years ago. But that doesn't make me want to do a project like yours!

• schoolhouse_gw
    11 years ago

Oh my gosh. Super. You should be proud.

• Circus Peanut
    11 years ago

That. is. amazing. Amazing! I bow to you, o god/goddess of the heat gun. We stripped our entire bungalow but our trim wasn't nearly as detailed and the stairs not so intricate. Well done, very well done. Just gorgeous!

• sombreuil_mongrel
    11 years ago

Proper
    :)
    Casey

• party_music50
    11 years ago

You accomplished that by yourself in just a month?! wow. Great job and what a difference in appearance!

• SK97232
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I stripped the stair railing and the two windows in the stairway in about a month of effort. I actually started in September, but I goofed off for several weeks doing other projects. But it was around a month of effort stripping, staining and shellacking.

The doors were all done professionally off-site, because they were easy to remove. The rest of the woodwork was done in place.

~Sharon

• CEFreeman
    11 years ago

OMG.
    Absolutely beautiful. What a fantastic entry you have now!
    Amazing.

• embeth
    11 years ago

Beautiful!

We are in the process of stripping the woodwork in our house (leaving it in place as well), and your pictures are truly impressive.

We have stripped all of the woodwork on the first floor, except for the staircase. We are putting that off in part because we are trying to come up with a good plan for the ballisters. (They are square cross-section and fairly close together, which looks similar to your situation.) Any tips?

• SK97232
    Original Author
    11 years ago

embeth,

It was a challenge to strip between the ballisters. We started with a heat gun and a 6-in-1 tool and that got off most of the paint. Then I did what I easily could with the chemical strippers.

The most challenge, if course, was the sanding. I actually ended up using a multi-tool with sanding heads, and sanding tips on a dremel tool. It worked well enough for this project and it didn't have to be perfectly smooth since few will ever run their fingers along the surface.

For small spots of white paint I couldn't get to, in the bottom crevices, I touched up with paint tinted to match the stain. They were very small spots and weren't noticeable once I shellacked over everything.

I did blog about it at the below blog address.

Best of Luck,
    Sharon

Here is a link that might be useful: Paint Stripping Project blog entries

• worthy
    11 years ago

Beautiful!

I sure hope you took all the safety precautions needed when removing lead paint.

• powermuffin
    11 years ago

The change is just magnificent! From dull white to beautiful, glowing wood. So worth it!

I did ours and it took me about 3 months for each room to strip the paint and wallpapers, patch, sand, restain and repaint. I never thought about how long it was going to take, just about how beautiful it was going to be.

Your house is smiling!
    Diane

• lauren674
    11 years ago

Its wonderful! I've followed your blog as we've been renovating our brick bungalow for ten years and I should've done a blog but never did! We've also just completed an entry room (the study) complete with salvaged colonnades, and adding all the warm wood just looks wonderful.

• la_koala
    11 years ago

Holy cow, that is just magnificent! You did a fantastic job!

--Lee

• chardie
    11 years ago

Unbelievably beautiful! Girl, you got some kind of energy! Love your blog.

• katy-lou
    11 years ago

Wow!! Amazing. Maybe I'll find the courage to do our stairs ;)

• kindred_ny
    10 years ago

I came to the forum to ask questions about my own stripping project, and came across your before and after. The after LITERALLY brought tears to my eyes! I have the curse of the white paint in my home, too, and your photos have given me renewed inspiration to keep going! Beautiful job!!!!!

• kindred_ny
    10 years ago

And OMG!!!! I just browsed through your blog. WOW!!!!! How did you have the stamina to complete all of that????? You are my hero.

• rerod
    10 years ago

Pat yourself on the back.. Bravo!

• Acadiafun
    10 years ago

Stunning!

• Acadiafun
    10 years ago

Stunning!

• oldfixer
    10 years ago

Extremely favorable results. My limited sanity wouldn't permit all that.