Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
atlantic123_gw

Another what style is my house post.

atlantic123
13 years ago

If you could help me identify the style of our house, that would be great!

Western, PA (USA)

1300 sq ft

Built around 1915/1920

Flat Roof/No attic.

House is partially attached to the neighbors. Our only party wall is the small kitchen wall & the small room above it.

The exterior looks very boring and plain. The inside is more much more decorative.

-4 ceramic tiled fireplaces

-Lots of dark feather painted moulding (Fireplaces NOT feather painted)

-Transoms

-The stairs turn and have a landing.

-Shallow closets upstairs

-Large windows throughout the house

The upstairs and the downstairs are nearly identical, including the fireplaces.

Downstairs:

-Living Room

-Dining Room

-Small Kitchen

Upstairs:

-Bedroom #1

-Bedroom #2

-Small Room above the kitchen... this is attached to Bedroom #2. I don't understand what this was used for.

-Small Bathroom

-Full Basement. Partially exposed. Because of this, the house is 3 stories from the back.

Dining Room

Bedroom #2

More photos on my Flickr page

Toward the end of my album there are better detail photos of how the house actually looks when it is not under construction.

Comments (12)

• sombreuil_mongrel
    13 years ago

It would be classified as a detached 2-story rowhouse/townhouse with a two-bay facade, full-width porch, and flat roof. The trim is vaguely craftsman-ish, but more like a builder's vernacular style of trim circa 1915. Off-the-shelf items. The tiles with the variegated glazes have always been a favorite of mine. And the woodwork, while not showy, is substantial and well-done.
    Casey

• kindred_ny
    13 years ago

Oh, I am so in love with that woodwork and the fireplace!

• ideagirl2
    13 years ago

Yeah, the woodwork is gorgeous!

Unless your "flat" roof is sloped, it would blow my mind if the original roof was flat. In your climate, flat roofs probably didn't work well at all until newer technologies came in (mid-20th century, maybe?). My guess is it originally was something different, and the change has made it harder to attribute a specific style to the house.

• karinl
    13 years ago

Whatever the style, "Oh!" to that doorway with the transom above it. What is the whole height of that arrangement - what's your ceiling height?

KarinL

• jiggreen
    13 years ago

Wow, I love it!! I love how it is so unassuming from the outside, and then.....the woodwork and built-ins on the inside just completely blow you away! I would kill for charm like that! Ok, maybe not "kill"...but then again...I sure do love that fireplace..lol!

• atlantic123
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi!

Most of the homes on our block have flat roofs. It was a housing development in the city. I do agree that flat roofs aren't extremely common here, but Pittsburgh does have some! I think our house would look A LOT better with some sort of slanted roof!

The ceilings downstairs are 9' high. Upstairs the ceilings are little lower (8.5').

Thanks for the compliments!! :)

• jey_l
    13 years ago

Hi atlantic,

Did you ever do anything with your kitchen or is that still a work in progress.

• atlantic123
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I just took photos of the row homes across the street. They also have flat roofs, but have an ornamental detail to their roofs. What is the architectural term for that detail? I LOVE IT! Those homes were built 5-10 year before ours.

Jey,

Thanks for asking! Because of you, I just updated my kitchen post. :)

• sombreuil_mongrel
    13 years ago

Decorative parapet wall; false front, etc. They are emulating Flemish gable styles.
    Casey

• atlantic123
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you, Casey!

• Pipersville_Carol
    13 years ago

The interiors are beautiful! It's so pristine. Those fireplaces are gems. Even the transoms over the doors have survived! What a pretty, solid house.

• kframe19
    13 years ago

You know what those houses look like?

They look like company houses for mill workers.

My Mother lives in Lewistown (near State College). There was a very large rayon/acetate factory there from the 1920s until the 1970s.

In the 1920s the company built a town, called Juniata Terrace, for its employees. There was a paved path from the town down to the mill so the employees could walk to work.

The houses look somewhat similar to the houses in your photographs.

I can't find any decent pictures on the web of the houses in Juniata Terrace, but from Google Maps it appears that a lot of the roofs are flat...